• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

AntsCanada supports incest

antscanada incest

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline AntsBC - Posted August 2 2018 - 1:49 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

I found this video while I was surfing youtube and thought some of you might get a kick out of it. 

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 10 2018 - 4:34 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

This relates to a question I asked about Gamergates recently. If I caught bull-ant workers would they lay eggs? Unfertilised eggs would hatch out to be male so then would the male mate with a female worker to produce a Gamergate which in turn could lay an egg that becomes a Queen?

The answer I got was that ants mate in flight so it won't happen in captivity, this video makes it seem possible at least with some species that produce Gamergates.

I would have liked to see more of the story and had the members discuss it.

From Antwiki : Queen-worker dimorphism in size is moderate to pronounced, according to species (Peeters 1997). Several species deviate from the norm with brachypterous (i.e. short-winged) queens that disperse on foot (Clark 1951). Other species have ergatoid (permanently wingless) queens (e.g. Haskins & Haskins 1955).

So with wingless or short winged queens in some species there is a precedent for mating without flying, I'm thinking it could be possible.

Edited by DaveJay, August 10 2018 - 4:58 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antscanada, incest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users