• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AnthonyP163's Lasius sp. (Updated 10/18/24)

lasius

27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted October 5 2024 - 9:25 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

10/5/24

Lasius latipes

All has been going decently well with these ants. I was able to get a decent pupae boost for the Lasius latipes, but unfortunately, the two queen latipes groups' hosts wouldn't accept them. They let most of them die in the cocoons. I also had to separate those two queens, because they began to show aggression to one another.

However, I did receive 4 more queens of this species with what appear to be Lasius ponderosae hosts from UtahAnts! I chose to boost one of them more than the others, and so that queen has about 50-70 hosts currently. I am going to have to put these ants into hibernation within the next few weeks. Most have eggs, but I am not entirely sure if any will develop into larvae.

Lasius clavipes

The Lasius clavipes queen with americanus hosts has been laying a ton of eggs. I don't think they'll develop prior to hibernation. I have some other queens with less hosts. 

Lasius occidentalis

The Lasius occidentalis have been having their final generation eclose.

Lasius subumbratus 

Headed into hibernation shortly. Both queens still doing well.

Lasius sitiens 

Apparently I received Lasius sitiens this year! I thought they were Cautolasius, but then neoniger-esque workers eclosed, and the queens and workers both match sitiens. I have a few dozen queens that are just beginning to get workers. 

Lasius pallitarsis

These queens have been doing well and have now began to eclose their own workers. 

Lasius crypticus

The group with lots of queens has been getting more workers, but also had some queens get culled. I assumed this would happen. It seems to have slowed down as they get more workers and get fed more. I am unsure if they will cull all but one queen, or tolerate multiple.

• RushmoreAnts, Ants_Dakota and UtahAnts like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#22 Online Ants_Dakota - Posted October 5 2024 - 12:17 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

10/5/24

Lasius latipes

All has been going decently well with these ants. I was able to get a decent pupae boost for the Lasius latipes, but unfortunately, the two queen latipes groups' hosts wouldn't accept them. They let most of them die in the cocoons. I also had to separate those two queens, because they began to show aggression to one another.

However, I did receive 4 more queens of this species with what appear to be Lasius ponderosae hosts from UtahAnts! I chose to boost one of them more than the others, and so that queen has about 50-70 hosts currently. I am going to have to put these ants into hibernation within the next few weeks. Most have eggs, but I am not entirely sure if any will develop into larvae.

Lasius clavipes

The Lasius clavipes queen with americanus hosts has been laying a ton of eggs. I don't think they'll develop prior to hibernation. I have some other queens with less hosts. 

Lasius occidentalis

Lasius subumbratus 

Lasius sitiens 

Apparently I received Lasius sitiens this year! I thought they were Cautolasius, but then neoniger-esque workers eclosed, and the queens and workers both match sitiens. I have a few dozen queens that are just beginning to get workers. 

Lasius pallitarsis

These queens have been doing well and have now began to eclose their own workers. 

Lasius crypticus

The group with lots of queens has been getting more workers, but also had some queens get culled. I assumed this would happen. It seems to have slowed down as they get more workers and get fed more. I am unsure if they will cull all but one queen, or tolerate multiple.

Awesome! Will these species soon be available for purchase?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship ants nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

#23 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted October 6 2024 - 8:33 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

10/5/24

Lasius latipes

Lasius clavipes

Lasius occidentalis

Lasius subumbratus 

Lasius sitiens 

Lasius pallitarsis

Lasius crypticus

Awesome! Will these species soon be available for purchase?

Lasius sitiens, crypticus, and pallitarsis likely will!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#24 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted October 18 2024 - 4:58 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

10/18/24

Notably, some of the Lasius latipes and Lasius clavipes have had larvae develop from their eggs. I didn't think this would happen prior to hibernation, but I'm glad it did. I know they have to hibernate soon so I'm curious how long they'll keep the brood growing and also a little bit nervous to hibernate all of the parasites. Historically, there's been some casualties each time. 

Recently I've introduced a lot of Lasius interjectus and one Lasius claviger to a lot of hosts. A friend in Wisconsin found a Lasius plumopilosus queen, which is very rare, but she likely isn't fertile as she's kept her wings. I introduced her to a few dozen Lasius claviger workers. It was bumpy at first, but that is the species she has done well with. To my knowledge, this is the first time they've been introduced to hosts in captivity. My end goal is, after all, to have raised a colony of every single described Lasius species in the US (and perhaps maintain them all at once?). 

Lasius occidentalis: All of the brood has eclosed and now being prepared for hibernation. 

Lasius clavipes: Lots of larvae, of varying sizes, but none large yet. 

Lasius subumbratus: Headed to hibernation shortly, but surprisingly, they have a few larvae. I didn't realize!

Lasius latipes: 4 have eggs, one has eggs and larvae. I will probably slowly put them into hibernation over the next 2 weeks. 

Lasius sitiens: These colonies are growing nicely, and the heated queens are showing no signs of hibernation. I hope for this to continue but I know it likely won't. 

Lasius pallitarsis: These queens have been laying eggs as I feed them fruit flies upon getting workers, but I'm 100% sure they'll need to hibernate soon.

Lasius interjectus: I got a handful of these queens a few weeks ago, and promptly introduced them to Lasius claviger workers as hosts. This seems to be the best option for fall-flying interjectus, as it matches their flight pattern. This is my hypothesis as to why they fly in the fall - they're hoping to infiltrate claviger colonies. 

I find they do best in group introductions. I introduced 5 queens to around 50 workers and another 5 queens to around 15 workers. I tried to introduce others but ran out of claviger temporarily and had issues with some. I have one queen with a young Lasius neoniger colony, and then just recently I saved a dying queen by introducing her to a new group of Lasius claviger. 

Lasius claviger: I introduced a Lasius claviger queen to a big host group (around 75-100 workers) of Lasius sensu stricto. They have around 50-75 pupae as well. I had a L. aphidicola queen with this group, but after weeks of being fed (and getting fat) she randomly died. The introduction for the claviger queen was rough so I'm hoping she can make it through the next few days.

Lasius speculiventris: Just when I was about to put this queen into hibernation, she lays a giant batch of eggs. Wonderful. I'll try to keep them out and see if they'll grow the larvae. 

I made a video compilation of all of the Lasius colonies, seen below.

• RushmoreAnts, Ants_Dakota and 1tsm3jack like this

#25 Online Ants_Dakota - Posted October 18 2024 - 6:44 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Recently I've introduced a lot of Lasius interjectus and one Lasius claviger to a lot of hosts. A friend in Wisconsin found a Lasius plumopilosus queen, which is very rare, but she likely isn't fertile as she's kept her wings. I introduced her to a few dozen Lasius claviger workers. It was bumpy at first, but that is the species she has done well with. To my knowledge, this is the first time they've been introduced to hosts in captivity. My end goal is, after all, to have raised a colony of every single described Lasius species in the US (and perhaps maintain them all at once?). 

I think that is really cool goal, and I look forward to following your progress.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, October 18 2024 - 6:45 PM.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#26 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted October 18 2024 - 7:53 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I think that is really cool goal, and I look forward to following your progress.

Thanks!

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 19 2024 - 2:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I saw sooooo many L. claviger queens last weekend here in Virginia.
  • 1tsm3jack likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Online Ants_Dakota - Posted October 19 2024 - 6:37 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

I saw sooooo many L. claviger queens last weekend here in Virginia.

I caught and saw none  :( . I wish I could get some from you!

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users