• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium tsushimae in Massachusetts?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Salmon - Posted July 7 2016 - 4:11 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
I think I might have found a colony of T. tsushimae here in central MA, and I'm wondering if they've been recorded here before?
Most of them are smaller than pavement ants (about 2 mm) but there's more variation in size, with the bigger workers just as large or larger than T. caespitum.
What made me suspect that they weren't just normal pavement ants is the color variation- to a varying degree, some of the workers are paler and more reddish than their counterparts. In person, they really stand out and look like a different species of ant than their counterparts.

Edited by Salmon, July 7 2016 - 4:12 PM.

#2 Offline Saftron - Posted August 3 2016 - 10:09 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Same here, I was at this park and saw what appeared to be a pale reddish coloured tetramorium? I was walking a path near a park looking for queens and happened to find a Tetramorium war. I believe they were new because there was only 2 reddish tetras and 5 black tetramoriums fighting. The ones in your picture look exactly like the ones I saw. 

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted August 3 2016 - 1:02 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Size can vary depending on what the colony is eating and how large the colony is. Color also varies with ants in a slight amount. This might be Tetramorium tsushimae but it could also be Tetramorium sp. e

Edited by Mdrogun, August 3 2016 - 1:02 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users