• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TarHeel Type I Formicarium & S. Invicta

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted June 19 2016 - 7:13 PM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Has anyone kept a TarHeel Type I formicarium with S. Invicta? I saw on the website the type II are better for destructive species. Just curious if anyone has had any problems with type I with S. Invicta. Thanks!

#2 Offline EstuaryAnts - Posted June 19 2016 - 7:23 PM

EstuaryAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

If you're gonna go with a type I for S. Invicta I'd go with the haven but make sure you have some barrier around the top.

#3 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted June 19 2016 - 7:53 PM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have already made a purchase for the Fortress type I (which I can use for other species) but was just curious if anyone has kept S. Invicta in a type I without problems?
Will do Estuary, already planned to have a barrier there for them :)

#4 Offline EstuaryAnts - Posted June 19 2016 - 8:14 PM

EstuaryAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Okie dokie that would work! TarheelAnts makes awesome formicarium.

edit:How large is your S. Invicta colony? Or do you have several queens that you just want to be prepared for?

Edited by EstuaryAnts, June 19 2016 - 8:17 PM.

#5 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted June 19 2016 - 8:34 PM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I agree, I really like the natural look/feel of them.
The colony is small with 4 workers and about 20 larvae. Before this I had neglected the workers before these 4 while I was gone on a road trip and came back to find only the queen. Ice in the chat room here suggested brood boosting which I tried last night. This evening I checked and 4 little workers were up and moving around. So, in short I am pretty excited about the successful learning experience lol.

#6 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted June 20 2016 - 4:36 AM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Yeah I prefer ones all inclused rather than with the glass fronts for Invicta. I kept Invicta in a Labrynth, and they chewed through the silicone that the glass sit on top of and escaped. Something like Buried Traditions where the nest is completely enclosed. Even then, they are escape artist when their numbers get massive and you will need to constanstly make sure there is enough fluon to prevent escapes.

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

#7 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted June 20 2016 - 5:25 AM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Tspivey16, I believe I will used an enclosed one then. I have read with several other S. Invicta owners struggling with these guys escaping. I would much rather not take a chance of these guys getting loose lol. I appreciate it Tspivey16!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users