• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 23 2016 - 9:05 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

Hey everyone so I have a camponotus sanctus which was prematurely moved into the nest when they had 10 workers only but they died off during the winter now they have started producing workers and they have 8 pupae but I think i should try to move them back into a test tube since I'm very new to all this and didn't want to do any more mistakes so before i tried anything i came to you guys. So how do i move them ? they have 4 workers and the queen will they be able to move all the brood ? about 5-8 larvae and 8-9 pupae. First i wanted to give you some info about their nest so the nest is a terrarium the nest and the outworld are all one big thing and the hydration system is a bit weird so i filled the whole tank with dirt and then i poured a grout layer above it to close it off the way i hydrate the nest is i pour water ontop of the grout which then gets sucked in by the sand under it. sadly this way the nest is hydrated for a very long time and I don't think there is a way for me to dehydrate the nest ? the only thing i can think of doing is taking off the 2 books that i have covering the nest(to keep it dark) and then having a dark test tube in the outworld above will that be enough ? what more can i do to provoke them enough so that they move into the test tube ? or maybe they don't have a big enough of a work force to force them to move at the moment ?.

Edited by CozmoDog, June 23 2016 - 9:06 AM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2016 - 9:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They probably won't move until the nest dries out.

#3 Offline MrmrGatlin - Posted June 23 2016 - 11:27 AM

MrmrGatlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFort myers FL

Best you can do is but a lamp on the nest area, cover the test tube so it's dark, try to ventilate the nest and wait for it to dry out. From how the design of the formicarium sounds, it will take ages to dry out though.

Current Species-------------------------
Brachymyrmex Patagonicus [First workers]
Pheidole Floridana [R.I.P. :'( ]
Odontomachus Brunneus [Founding]

#4 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 23 2016 - 11:49 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

yeah I figured as much what I did at the moment is I covered a test tube with paper so it's dark and I just plan to leave them be I won't hydrate the nest anymore and wait for it to dry out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users