• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions on Heaters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Adventurer390 - Posted June 19 2016 - 9:28 PM

Adventurer390

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I normally like to keep my room temp between 72*F-75*F and I am using Tarheel Mini Hearth, Fortress, and Atom nest. I was curious on what heating method I should use (if any)? Any preferences between a heating cable and lamp? And with the Tarheel formicariums, where would be the best position for heating? I read several posts on heating but was curious about this scenario and my setup.

#2 Offline iXvXi - Posted June 22 2016 - 8:43 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Depending on the species and other factors it's hard to say. I would suggest a heating cable (15-25w) for med-large formicariums, but anything smaller, you run the risk of overheating and drying out the queen/nest. A heat lamp placed not too close should be fine with smaller formicaria as long as light isn't exposing the queen. 

You should research the species you have and adjust heating/humidity to their preferences.

*Try not to place heat under nests, walls and ceilings are best

*To avoid condensation heat shouldn't be placed near water sources

• drtrmiller likes this

#3 Offline Runner12 - Posted June 23 2016 - 11:22 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
A dimmer switch with a plugin that you can pick up for ten bucks at home depot gives you a ton of versatility in terms of adjusting how much heat your pad/cable puts out

#4 Offline prettycode - Posted June 24 2016 - 6:59 AM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

This heat mat: https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

...plus this thermostat controller: https://www.amazon.c...pd_sim_sbs_86_5

...has been amazingly reliable.

You'll find a few standard size variations for the mats and identical thermostat controllers with different brand labels on them. They're all created by the same Chinese manufacturer--just branded differently. Look for the size and price that is most palatable. :)

I just keep mine set to 75 degrees F, 24/7, when the ants aren't in hibernation.

My only criticism is that the mats are black: if any ants escape their formicariums, you'll have a hard time spotting them if they're walking about the mat. I put a layer of white paper over the mat/under the formicariums, to triage this.

Oh, and when the thermostatic controller turns on/off to regulate the heat, you hear a (somewhat loud) "click" noise. This can happen frequently. Doesn't bother me much--I've got my mat setup in my office and my mind now filters it out.

For the thermostatic sensor, I put a thin layer of sand in a small acrylic box that sits on the mat alongside the formicariums, and burry the sensor in the sand with a small weight over the sensor cable to hold the sensor in place/keep it down.

Edited by prettycode, June 24 2016 - 7:19 AM.

• Okeedoke22 and altmoola like this

#5 Offline NightsWebs - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:31 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I use THA nucleus and Talus for my ants once they get passed 10 workers.  I also use heat lamps and I use several humidity and temperature indicators (cheap ones you can buy online or petsmart).  I live on the coast of California so humidity and cool night temperatures are a challenge.  I primarily use heat lamps with night tropical bulbs and regularly keep the top of the nests between 87-110 degrees as I have desert ants.  Remember, the bulbs radiant heat at different topical depths so read your bulb carefully to ensure you have the heat level you want and monitor regularly.  Now, that summer has arrived about 10PM I check the ambient temperature outside and than inside my garage as I don't want the temperatures to dip below 80 degrees.  keeping your temperatures in your species range is extremely beneficial and will get the maximum out of your colonies growth.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users