• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What type of eggs do queen ant?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted April 19 2016 - 6:42 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

I got a 2 year  old myrmica colony and i wonder if this year will do queens or drones for fly mating.

Got like 300 workers.

Do the queens make queens and drones on the same time? Or i need to collect drones to mate with the queens and after that to put the queens on the colony to get much queens.

By now the colony got 1 queen.

If i will find some brood with queens and the queens got different collors , the actual colony will accept them after mating?And get 2 different colors of workers?

Thanks

And sorry for my grammar.

• Atom Ant likes this

#2 Offline Reacker - Posted April 19 2016 - 1:15 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Your post and title are nearly incomprehensible. I would recommend straightening it up a bit if you're hoping to get better answers.

You seem to be saying this:

"I got a 2 year old myrmica colony with like 300 workers and I want to know if it is possible for the colony to produce drones or queens this year for mating flights. Will the colony make new queens and drones to mate with those queens so that the colony can get more queens, or will the colony only make queens so that if I want those new queens to mate I will need to collect drones from the wild. My colony only has one queen currently. 

If the new queens are made and they are different colors, and the new queens stay in the old colony, will they make different colors of workers so that my colony has 2 or more different worker colors?"

I don't know enough about Myrmica mating habits to answer your questions with any certainty, though there is probably someone here who can answer your questions and it would help if you could give the specific species if you know it, or at least where they're from and what they look like. 

• dspdrew, AntsTexas and LC3 like this

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 19 2016 - 5:57 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Yeah, I am very confused....

#4 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted April 19 2016 - 9:32 PM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Wrong photos

Edited by GeniusNutella12, June 22 2016 - 11:19 PM.

#5 Offline Atom Ant - Posted April 20 2016 - 8:16 PM

Atom Ant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Guys... check his location. English might not be his primary language. And it's not that hard to understand what he's saying.

I got a 2 year  old myrmica colony and i wonder if this year will do queens or drones for fly mating.

Got like 300 workers.

Do the queens make queens and drones on the same time? Or i need to collect drones to mate with the queens and after that to put the queens on the colony to get much queens.

By now the colony got 1 queen.

If i will find some brood with queens and the queens got different collors , the actual colony will accept them after mating?And get 2 different colors of workers?

Thanks

And sorry for my grammar.

Colonies usually produce queens and drones at the same time. But that doesn't always happen. Ant colonies can be unpredictable. It can take years for colonies to produce queens and drones.

You won't be able to collect queens and drones to mate in your house. It's very hard to do. I wouldn't try it.

You should collect newly mated queens if you want to add more queens to your colony. Find queens that have just shed their wings but don't have a nest yet. Add one at a time. The workers may accept them or they may not. 

If the queen is the same species but a different color then the workers may look like her. It all depends.

• Ants4fun and LC3 like this

#6 Offline Socalfireants - Posted April 24 2016 - 9:55 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Lol dude prob already tried introducing queens to his myrmicas

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted April 24 2016 - 10:13 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Iv'e found that mature colonies, or any colonies with workers and such usually won't accept any additional queens. However most of the time lone queens happily band up with each other. In the wild I know Myrmica somehow boost their queen counts but I'm not sure how.

• Crystals likes this

#8 Offline Socalfireants - Posted April 24 2016 - 10:46 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
No duh they don't like other colonies. I've known tht since I was a kid. They band together if they are biologically "polygenous". I wouldn't go around answering peoples questions if I were you, because if you don't know simple things like that then you could mess up someone elses colonies too

#9 Offline LC3 - Posted April 24 2016 - 11:12 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Talking about Myrmica native to my area and my personal observations and experiments with them.

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted April 24 2016 - 11:23 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

No duh they don't like other colonies. I've known tht since I was a kid. They band together if they are biologically "polygenous". I wouldn't go around answering peoples questions if I were you, because if you don't know simple things like that then you could mess up someone elses colonies too

Please don't be so rude.   Besides he was honest and apologizing for his grammar in his first post. 

Socalfireants, please read rule #5 - http://www.formicult...tion=boardrules

We help everyone, whether they are an international that are trying to use english the way we do over here, or any newbie.

Things that seem obvious to me, may not be obvious to others.

He may be very familiar with bees, since his sentences are referring to some aspects that apply to bees and not ants.  I could tell you a lot about ants, but I can guarantee that some aspects of bee keeping would surprise me.  I could also tell you the fine details between maintaining a freshwater planted tank with CO2 and a Saltwater tank with a sump and external skimmer.  Just because one person knows something, doesn't mean that another person will.

----------------------------------

Back to the question.

Here is how I break it down:

He has a 2 year old Myrmica colony, with 300 workers and one queen.

1. He is wondering if he may get male and female alates (unmated queens and males) out of his brood this year.

2. He is wondering if a colony will produce both at the same time, and if they will mate with each other or if he needs outside males in order for the new queens to be fertile.

3. If he finds alate brood in a different colony where they have different colors, will the workers accept the new queens once mated.

4. Is it possible to get 2 different colors of workers.

Here are my thoughts.

1. The colony may or may not get alates this year.  It varies year by year with the age of the colony, diet, and other environmental factors.

2. It is possible for a colony to produce both male and female alates.  Myrmica may mate just outside of the nest with siblings, but usually in flight with un-related males.  It is very difficult to breed most species of ants in captivity.

3. If they have different colors, they are likely a different species.  Adult workers will usually not accept a queen of a different species.  That being said, it may be possible to boost a new queen with pupae of a different Myrmica species and it will usually work.  That is how many parasitic queens are boosted - with pupae of the same species, a closely related species, or a specific host species.

4. If you steal brood from a nest of a closely related species, and give it to a different colony they will usually accept it and raise it as their own.  This is quite common in some species like Formica aserva, who often raid various serviformica species and steal pupae for slaves.  It is not possible to introduce adult workers from different species and have them accept one another.

• Herdo likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#11 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted June 22 2016 - 11:18 PM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Yesterday the ants just had a nuptial flight, from colony brood and adopted brood (with different color i colected 10 or so of queen ants brood). After nuptial flight some queens shed their wings and returned to the formicarium and some got killed . Finaly i could mix the colors of the colony now they have 9 queens.

Edited by GeniusNutella12, June 22 2016 - 11:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users