• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius nearcticus - small colony concerns

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted June 19 2016 - 6:52 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I have a bunch of small Lasius nearcticus colonies (only nanitics). However, I've never seen these colonies forage like I have my other colonies. They never seem to exit their test tube at all. I know that this species is subterranean. That said, should I even have the expectation that they come out to forage? Even if they don't normally forage, will they forage if the alternative is starvation? Do I need to deliver the sugar-water and insects closer to the nest entrance than I do my other species? Do they accept the same food types as other foraging Lasius species? I could use some help on general care documentation for subterranean species like this if anyone can point me to some.
~Dan

#2 Offline EstuaryAnts - Posted June 19 2016 - 7:28 PM

EstuaryAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

If they're not coming out I think you should move the food closer to the nest

#3 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted June 22 2016 - 7:54 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I still feel like this topic is mostly unresolved. Do subterranean species tend to be more reclusive and less voracious? Will they forage at the surface (outworld) if they cannot find adequate resources underground (in test tube)?

Switching topics slightly, these colonies are running out of water in their test tube. Will they explore and move to the neighboring test tube that has plenty? Would keeping the outworld dark help aid in the transition?
~Dan

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 22 2016 - 11:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I can't speak about that species specifically, but most any ants will eventually come out to get food, and if the test tube goes dry, they will move into a new one. Just because you don't see them coming out, doesn't mean they aren't, unless you're watching them 24-7.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users