• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID please

Best Answer OiledOlives , October 20 2024 - 4:45 PM

Lasius claviger

General PSA, pls do not throw out random guesses, it just makes following the conversation more confusing

Go to the full post

22 replies to this topic

#1 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:10 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

I walked out into my yard and started flipping random things over and I didn't see anything and then I look to the side and there is a queen wandering that comes walking out onto the top of a leaf, so I picked her up and I don't have any test tubes right now so she will be spending the night in a tupperware container haha, I assume she is a parasitic lasius bc I can't think of anything else that may be flying right now.

Attached Images

• IMG_2316.jpg
  • IMG_2315.jpg
  • IMG_2314.jpg
  • IMG_2317.jpg

#2 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:18 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Size?

I keep:

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus journal
Myrmecocystus Deplisis journal
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

#3 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:28 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

about a half an inch I think. I'm not good with mm.

#4 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:35 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Then she is definitely not lasius. Maybe tetramorium? That's assuming she's under half an inch.

Edited by AntsGodzilla, October 20 2024 - 2:36 PM.

I keep:

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus journal
Myrmecocystus Deplisis journal
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

#5 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:36 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

about a half an inch I think. I'm not good with mm.

Actually nvm my bad, I just took another look at her to confirm size, definitely not a half inch, I am going to go find a ruler or something really quick.

#6 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:40 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

more like 4mm 

#7 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:43 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Then she is definitely not lasius. Maybe tetramorium? That's assuming she's under half an inch.

I don't think she's tetramorium, I have 2 tetramorium and she is about 3/4 of the size.

#8 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:46 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Location? My best guess is L. claviger and it is parasitic, definitely not Tetramorium because of how there is not really a big petiole segment  

Edited by OwlThatLikesAnts, October 20 2024 - 2:48 PM.

Currently keeping:

1x Formica subsericea, (used to be polygynous) 15+ workers with 4 pupa (Idk why they still have)

1x Lasius umbratus, (Workers accepted) 5+ workers with host brood

1x Ponera pennsylvanica, just queen

As you watch your ants march, remember: every journey begins with a single step (or queen)-not just towards you, but towards a future woven by diligence and shared dreams - Me

(I lost braincells just to make this quote)

#9 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:47 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Location? My best guess is L. claviger and it is parasitic

Wanynesboro, VA

#10 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:02 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Location? My best guess is L. claviger and it is parasitic

Wanynesboro, VA

Lasius minitus, a small parasite but is basically the same founding as any other Lasius parasite

Currently keeping:

1x Formica subsericea, (used to be polygynous) 15+ workers with 4 pupa (Idk why they still have)

As you watch your ants march, remember: every journey begins with a single step (or queen)-not just towards you, but towards a future woven by diligence and shared dreams - Me

#11 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:30 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Lasius minitus, a small parasite but is basically the same founding as any other Lasius parasite

I'm not sure, I don't think we have minutus this far south, I could be wrong though.

Edited by 1tsm3jack, October 20 2024 - 3:30 PM.

#12 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:36 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I found a lasius queen guide but I don't know how to use it, especially without a microscope or anything. 

I will link it here but since my pictures are bad I don't think it will be any help.   https://www.antwiki....o_Lasius_queens

#13 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:46 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I'm not sure, I don't think we have minutus this far south, I could be wrong though.

I mean on ant maps it says you have minutus, plus there are not really any other parasitic Lasius species that have 4mm queens other than minitus, unless you measured her wrong

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Currently keeping:

#14 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:47 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I mean on ant maps it says you have minutus, plus there are not really any other parasitic Lasius species that have 4mm queens other than minitus, unless you measured her wrong

Very possible I could have, or I could be wrong, or antmaps could be wrong, who knows, she was moving when I was trying to measure her so I would guess between 4-6 mm, possibly up to 7mm.

#15 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:49 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Let's just leave it at some kind of parasitic Lasius species, at least until someone more experienced in IDing (such as Metcollsus) appears.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#16 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:51 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Let's just leave it at some kind of parasitic Lasius species, at least until someone more experienced in IDing (such as Metcollsus) appears.

Yeah that works haha, I'm gonna put out a blacklight to see if I can get anymore.

Edited by 1tsm3jack, October 20 2024 - 3:52 PM.

• bmb1bee likes this

#17 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:53 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Good luck!

• 1tsm3jack likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#18 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:56 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Good luck!

#19 Offline OiledOlives - Posted October 20 2024 - 4:45 PM   Best Answer

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Lasius claviger

General PSA, pls do not throw out random guesses, it just makes following the conversation more confusing

• Ants_Dakota, rptraut, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

#20 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 20 2024 - 4:59 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Lasius claviger

What is their host species? I have a lasius colony but I also don't know exactly what they are. Either americanus or neoniger I think.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users