• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Now, the second topic: Canada ant colony

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:03 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

So after asking what species I should get, I have finished with Crematogaster, now i am planning on getting her  but I have come in a predicament. On their DOA claims and shipping conditions, It says that starting from late October, I need to buy a 72 hour heat pack to have my shipment valid for DOA and that the heat pack will be showed as an option starting late October but I do not see any option for it, does anyone know what to do?

Currently keeping:

1x Formica subsericea, (used to be polygynous) 15+ workers with 4 pupa (Idk why they still have)

1x Lasius umbratus, (Workers accepted) 5+ workers with host brood

1x Ponera pennsylvanica, just queen

As you watch your ants march, remember: every journey begins with a single step (or queen)-not just towards you, but towards a future woven by diligence and shared dreams - Me

(I lost braincells just to make this quote)

#2 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 20 2024 - 2:15 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

So after asking what species I should get, I have finished with Crematogaster, now i am planning on getting her  but I have come in a predicament. On their DOA claims and shipping conditions, It says that starting from late October, I need to buy a 72 hour heat pack to have my shipment valid for DOA and that the heat pack will be showed as an option starting late October but I do not see any option for it, does anyone know what to do?

With some places, you can buy the heat pack in checkout, in the shipping section.

I keep:

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus journal
Myrmecocystus Deplisis journal
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

#3 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:06 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

With some places, you can buy the heat pack in checkout, in the shipping section.

I don't see it

Currently keeping:

1x Formica subsericea, (used to be polygynous) 15+ workers with 4 pupa (Idk why they still have)

As you watch your ants march, remember: every journey begins with a single step (or queen)-not just towards you, but towards a future woven by diligence and shared dreams - Me

#4 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:09 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Wait nvm, I have found it but.. now on the heat pack it says it will Live guarantee from November 15 to April 15, but the shipping policy says from Late October to Late march

Currently keeping:

#5 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:13 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Just get it to be safe.

I keep:

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus journal
Myrmecocystus Deplisis journal
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

#6 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:14 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Just get it to be safe.

ok I will

Currently keeping:

#7 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 20 2024 - 3:53 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Wait nvm, I have found it but.. now on the heat pack it says it will Live guarantee from November 15 to April 15, but the shipping policy says from Late October to Late march

I would just email Canada Ant Colony if I were you.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#8 Offline rptraut - Posted October 20 2024 - 4:49 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello OwlThatLikesAnts;

The heat pack is an option that they add to the order form when the weather is, or threatens to be, below freezing during the delivery time.    The discrepancy in the date is probably because they can never be sure when that freezing weather will happen.    I've purchased the heat pack in winter and the ants have arrived in good condition each time.   In fact, in one instance the ants were shipped just before a terrible winter storm that closed roads for days and I figured my ants would arrive dead for sure.    It took two weeks for them to be delivered.    Amazingly the heat pack did its job and the ants were fine.   If the heat pack is available on the order form, I would get it, it's cheap insurance if freezing weather is a concern.    I should also give credit to our very understanding postman who delivers my ants to the door, into my hands, when the weather is freezing, instead of leaving them in the post box at the road.   

There is a chat function on the Canada Ant Colony website, I've asked questions there and received answers the next day.    You can also email Teddy at Canada Ant Colony and ask specific questions about your order.   

RPT

• AntsGodzilla likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#9 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 20 2024 - 5:37 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Hello OwlThatLikesAnts;

The heat pack is an option that they add to the order form when the weather is, or threatens to be, below freezing during the delivery time.    The discrepancy in the date is probably because they can never be sure when that freezing weather will happen.    I've purchased the heat pack in winter and the ants have arrived in good condition each time.   In fact, in one instance the ants were shipped just before a terrible winter storm that closed roads for days and I figured my ants would arrive dead for sure.    It took two weeks for them to be delivered.    Amazingly the heat pack did its job and the ants were fine.   If the heat pack is available on the order form, I would get it, it's cheap insurance if freezing weather is a concern.    I should also give credit to our very understanding postman who delivers my ants to the door, into my hands, when the weather is freezing, instead of leaving them in the post box at the road.   

There is a chat function on the Canada Ant Colony website, I've asked questions there and received answers the next day.    You can also email Teddy at Canada Ant Colony and ask specific questions about your order.   

RPT

Ok thanks for the help

• rptraut likes this

Currently keeping:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users