• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus pennsylvanicus putting dead working on egg pile?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline robyn13572 - Posted October 16 2024 - 8:33 AM

robyn13572

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, US
For some reason, my C. pennsylvanicus colony has put one of their dead nanetic bodies on top of their egg pile. Is this harmful for them? What should I do?
I'm new to the hobby :)
Currently keeping two Camponotus pennsylvania colonies  :D

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 16 2024 - 8:53 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

It shouldn't really have much affect until it starts molding, but I wouldn't stress over it much if I were you. The workers will likely move it away sometime soon. In fact, they're likely processing it and eating the corpse to recycle proteins. Just try not to disturb them too much.

• Mushu and Artisan_Ants like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#3 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted October 16 2024 - 10:12 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yes, and if there are larvae in the 'egg pile' they are likely feeding the body to the larvae, as larvae can digest hard exoskeletons while workers can't.

• JoeByron likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. argentea

Formica cf. aserva, cf. subintegra

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Pheidole bicarinata

Myrmica sp.

Lasius neoniger, brevicornis

#4 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 16 2024 - 10:53 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Yes, and if there are larvae in the 'egg pile' they are likely feeding the body to the larvae, as larvae can digest hard exoskeletons while workers can't.

Ahh so that is where the worker and queen’s dead body go

Currently keeping:

1x Formica subsericea, (used to be polygynous) 15+ workers with 4 pupa (Idk why they still have)

1x Lasius umbratus, (Workers accepted) 5+ workers with host brood

1x Ponera pennsylvanica, just queen

As you watch your ants march, remember: every journey begins with a single step (or queen)-not just towards you, but towards a future woven by diligence and shared dreams - Me

(I lost braincells just to make this quote)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users