• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small colony ID, Mexico.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rbaezam - Posted October 18 2024 - 10:18 AM

rbaezam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

A friend sent me this small colony. I think they look very much like Crematogaster, but they are bigger than any other sp of Crematogaster I've known in the past. 

1. Location of collection:

Near Mexico City.

2. Date of collection (more important for ID's of queens).

3. Habitat of collection (ie: desert scrub, oak forest, riparian, etc.).

Forest

4. Length (to the nearest millimeter or 1/16th of an inch.) Millimeters is preferred.

Queen a little more than 10 millimeters (around 11-12), workers like 2-3 mm.

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture (ie: dark redish-orange head, velvet-like gaster, translucent, hairy/bald, shiny/dull, etc.). Be as specific as possible, and you can use the diagram below if you need it.

Like shiny black, but with sunlight seems like they have a reddish/purplish coloration.

6. Distinguishing characteristics (ie: one petiole node/two petiole nodes, length and orientation of any spines or bumps on the thorax or waist, head shape, eye size, shape of mandibles, number of antennal segments, etc.)

Heart shaped gaster, slow moving, not show much stress for vibrations.

Pictures:

Attached Images

• colony1.jpg
  • colony2.jpg
  • colony3.jpg
  • colony4.jpg
  • colony5.jpg
  • colony6.jpg
  • colony7.jpg
  • colony8.jpg
  • workers1.jpg

#2 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 18 2024 - 10:34 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Crematogaster, I am not familiar with mexico species though.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 18 2024 - 11:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Definitely Crematogaster. Getting beyond that will be impossible without using a microscope and good keys.
  • Artisan_Ants likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users