• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants_Dakota's Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

ants_dakota south dakota midwest pogonomyrmex pogonomyrmex occidentalis harvester ant harvester ant colony seeds best seeds for pogonomyrmex

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 16 2024 - 1:44 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Ants_Dakota's Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal
Entry 1: Pogonomyrmex occidentalis
10/16/2024
Purpose
To provide background, notable journals, and seed preferences for the ant Pogonomyrmex occidentalis before introducing the colonies that I currently own.
Background
Until recently, I had never purchased an ant colony in my life (and don't plan on doing so again). I have always been a find my own queen type of person because of the patience and contentment it builds with native ants, and I always encourage others to do the same. However, Utah Ants gave me a deal I could not pass down, and I love supporting sole entrepreneurs, so I found myself in possession of two colonies of P. occidentalis. As always, I shall start this journal out by encouraging every reader to keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways, and this journal I hope shall demonstrate one avenue of doing this.
Notable Journals
RushmoreAnts has a wonderful sister journal to mine located here, which contains important background information and notable journals. I encourage you to check this out. However, I want to highlight another exceptional Pogonomyrmex occidentalis journal by Full_Frontal_Yeti, found here. It is a really good example of how to write a detailed and quality journal, and yet not be an expert. If you are thinking about creating your own journal someday, I highly recommend reading through it.
Seed preferences
While there is a detailed entry found here on Formiculture about what seeds are best to feed Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, I wanted to dig a little deeper and do a mini literature review on the subject.
As noted by the user, The Ecological Effect of the Western Harvester Ant (Pogonomyrmex occidentalis) in the Shortgrass Plains Ecosystem by Lee E. Rogers is a wonderful read for anyone keeping this species. Specifically on the topic of seed consumption, Table 20 on Page 69 is very helpful to identify what kinds of seeds these ants eat in the wild. An interesting observation by the author is that "Eriogonum effusum [Diffuse buckwheat]... represented 27% of the total number of seeds foraged."  This observation prompted me to purchase a supply of a similar species for the colonies when they move out of their test tube, mainly because Diffuse buckwheat is highly native to the Great Plains and South Dakota. Could I feed them dandelion and bluegrass seeds like everyone else? Yes, but I want to keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways, and a diet as close to native as possible is something I consider part of this. The Ant, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, CR., associated with Plant Communities is another great resource centered around the Utah and Idaho area for observing native seed consumption. There is one specific type of seed that this research paper reveals of special note: Peppergrass. Arthur C. Cole has this to say about the sagebrush association: "In no other community do we find as many mounds so closely aggregated with one another and continually increasing in quantity. In fact, it is safe to estimate that there are approximately as many incipient colonies of the ant as there are fully developed mounds." He continues: "Mounds of occidentalis opened in this area were found to contain large quantities of Lepidiuni [peppergrass] seeds, often surpassing the number of Bromus seeds, though Bromus tectorum was extremely abundant throughout this association." I would love to hear if someone decides to feed their colony this type of seed! Because there are no tables contained in this research paper, I created a little cheat sheet covering the seeds discussed within.

Highly preferred: peppergrass, downy brome

Accepted: shadscale, prickly Russian thistle, greasewood, Sandberg bluegrass, needle-and-thread grass, Pacific serviceberry

Rarely Chosen: alkali sacaton, inland saltgrass, Bitterroot, dwarf purple monkeyflower, Buckwheat

An interesting observation is the fact that Buckwheat is rarely chosen within these regions while it is highly selected for in Colorado in the first paper. This can possibly be explained by the research report titled Harvester Ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) Discriminate Among Artificial Seeds with Different Protein Contents, which explains that "The recruitment of P. occidentalis workers to five percent protein seed 

patches at nearly twice the rate as to zero percent protein seed patches clearly demonstrates that these ants detect protein differences and select for higher protein seeds." The report Harvester Ant Foraging and Shrub-Steppe Seeds: Interactions of Seed Resources and Seed Use also notes that "ants preferentially harvested small, sound seeds." However, when faced with longer travels, ants "preferred large seeds with higher assimilable energy content in trials 10 m from nests."
The following conclusions for the difference in selection then arise: Peppergrass provides higher protein levels and more accessible nutrients than buckwheat. However, while the triangular and larger size of buckwheat seeds can make them harder to manage compared to smaller peppergrass seeds, colonies located in Colorado may have longer foraging distances, and therefore prefer the higher energy trade-off.
A few more interesting pieces of information also surfaced in my deep dive. According to Spatial Variation in Rates of Seed Removal by Harvester Ants (Pogonomyrmex occidentalis) in a Shrub-steppe Ecosystem, "Rates of seed removal were not affected by the distance of seeds from the nest nor by the surface location (undershrub or intershrub space) in which seeds were placed." This also gives justification for larger outworlds for ants, something I believe strongly in when considering keeping ordinary ants in extraordinary ways. This is further supported by the resource Foraging Patterns of Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in a Shrub–Steppe Ecosystem: The Roles of Temperature, Trunk Trails, and Seed Resources, which states that "permanent trunk trails that were formed by workers traveling in corridors between shrubs." Small outworlds do not allow for this natural behavior of permanent trails.
My Colonies
These colonies made it through the cold into South Dakota over a week ago in a dirt setup. RushmoreAnts removed them from these setups and placed them into test tube setups with Por Amor Inserts for me. Currently, they are being heated by a BN-LINK Seedling Heat Mat 10" x 20.75", which is a very large, high-quality, and affordable heating mat that I encourage ant enthusiasts to look into when looking for a heating pad. Don't buy heating pads from reptile stores, they are up-charged a ton of money. Just look at the price and size of the aforementioned pad for evidence. Colony 1 is doing the best at seven workers, and Colony 2 has two. Both have batches of eggs.

Colony 1

PA160640.JPG

A royal hairy abdomen

PA160644.JPG

The best shot at the egg clump I could get

PA160646.JPG

The colony's first loss from unknown circumstances

PA160650.JPG

Unfortunately, this queen came damaged, with a large dent in her exoskeleton that narrowly missed her eye. I hope she still lives a long life!

Colony 2

PA160633.JPG

A magnificent picture of her royal majesty

PA160638.JPG

Several workers harvesting a Kentucky Bluegrass seed over a batch of eggs

Their Current Setup

PA160652.JPG

Contains a large heating pad and a thermometer/hygrometer to measure the temperature and humidity. I will need to come up with some solution to incubate the colonies as the temp barely reaches 70 degrees Fahrenheit, although I suspect that it is warmer in the test tube.

Remember, when keeping this species, it is not just the most commonly sold ant species around, nor just a good foundation to start with before moving up to more difficult ants. HARVESTER ANTS (POGONOMYRMEX SPP.): Their Community and Ecosystem Influences concludes that " Because of nest densities, the longevity of nests, and the amount of seed harvested and soil handled, harvester ants have significant direct and indirect effects on community structure and ecosystem functioning." You are keeping an ecosystem keystone ant species, so value that!
Feel free to respond with comments about how your Pogonomyrmex colony is doing, or post the link to your journal!

Edited by Ants_Dakota, October 16 2024 - 1:54 PM.

• ANTdrew, RushmoreAnts, UtahAnts and 2 others like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship ants nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

#2 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 16 2024 - 2:24 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Nice first entry! I look forward to seeing this colony grow!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

I keep:

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus journal
Myrmecocystus Deplisis journal
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

#3 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 16 2024 - 2:51 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Look forward to the journal.

My journal is here: https://www.formicul...yrmex-journal/  , although I don' have much on it currently, I thought she was Occidentalis and now seeing your macro pictures almost confirms that for me so thanks :)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 16 2024 - 3:38 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts

Nice first entry! I look forward to seeing this colony grow!

Thank you! I also am hoping they are able to take off, despite the dented exoskeleton. 

Look forward to the journal.

My journal is here: https://www.formicul...yrmex-journal/  , although I don' have much on it currently, I thought she was Occidentalis and now seeing your macro pictures almost confirms that for me so thanks :)

I'm glad my macro photos could confirm that! That is one of the greatest reasons why I create these journals, so that others can help get accurate ID's. I have kept up to date on your journal, and good work! Our colonies are only several months apart in founding stages, so I look forward to what extraordinary things you do with your queen.

• RushmoreAnts, AntsGodzilla and 1tsm3jack like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#5 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted October 16 2024 - 3:41 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Well done! I added this journal to my Journal Resources tab in mine.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. argentea

Formica cf. aserva, cf. subintegra

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Pheidole bicarinata

Myrmica sp.

Lasius neoniger, brevicornis

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 16 2024 - 4:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,880 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You guys are really elevating Formiculture with these top notch journals! Keep it up! I recommend looking into Prairie Moon nursery to order native prairie seeds for your experiment.
  • RushmoreAnts, Ants_Dakota and 1tsm3jack like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 16 2024 - 4:38 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts

You guys are really elevating Formiculture with these top notch journals! Keep it up! I recommend looking into Prairie Moon nursery to order native prairie seeds for your experiment.

I really appreciate that, and I know RushmoreAnts does as well. We have talked at length about "supporting the Formiculture dad," aka you, in the never-ending task of educating new ant keepers with the knowledge we have. I hope we can make a difference in this hobby!

• ANTdrew, RushmoreAnts and 1tsm3jack like this

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants_dakota, south dakota, midwest, pogonomyrmex, pogonomyrmex occidentalis, harvester ant, harvester ant colony, seeds, best seeds for pogonomyrmex

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users