• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster Rudis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 15 2024 - 3:56 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

I have an A. Rudis colony, somewhat on the smaller side for now, but I was wondering when I may be able to move them into a larger nest? I have an Antscanada hybrid nest mini. The colony seems to be about 10-20 strong, but I can't exactly tell because I have them in dirt, and it also seems they are trying to double size before hibernation, as they have a lot of brood. 

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2024 - 4:03 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I have an A. Rudis colony, somewhat on the smaller side for now, but I was wondering when I may be able to move them into a larger nest? I have an Antscanada hybrid nest mini. The colony seems to be about 10-20 strong, but I can't exactly tell because I have them in dirt, and it also seems they are trying to double size before hibernation, as they have a lot of brood. 

I know it is tempting to splurge on a new nest, but an AC hybrid nest can fit hundreds of workers. I always recommend leaving ants in their habitat until they absolutely need to move. This helps in two ways.

1. it saves you money from buying more nests before they need it, as well as having to buy a new nest if your ants cause a mold outbreak in one section because they had extra space

2. It saves your ants stress from having more space than needed, and attempting to block it off.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship ants nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

#3 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 15 2024 - 4:07 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

It is a mini though, and they seem to be getting pretty crowded.

#4 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 15 2024 - 4:08 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I probably will end up waiting until next year when they are active again and the queen has started laying again, maybe like once she's on her third batch for the year or something like that.

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2024 - 4:08 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Perhaps edit your first post to display this, I am intrigued to see how crowded it is.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship ants nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

#6 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 15 2024 - 4:13 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Perhaps edit your first post to display this, I am intrigued to see how crowded it is.

I have them in a dirt test tube to compare them to my other queen to see how they would do, it was kind of just a little experiment of mine. The queen in the empty test tube with no dirt has only one nanitic and only has a few eggs currently, while the one in the dirt has 10-20 workers. The ones in the dirt spend alot of time right in the front with all the brood but they have tunnels that go all the way to the very back and they use every bit of the space, I have them attached to a test tube portal where I give them a wet cotton ball for water and also I feed them in there as well. ( I do make sure to keep the food away from the water and if I notice it gets dirty I just change the cotton and clean the whole portal as well).

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#7 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted October 16 2024 - 10:23 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

The Hybrid Nest Mini is still 4 in. by 4 in. That is quite large for an ant colony, and as Ants_Dakota pointed out, it can hold hundreds of workers. Ants are eusocial, and they thrive on being crammed together. If you think it looks crowded, they probably don't. If they're so jam-packed that you can barely even distinguish between individual workers, then it may be time to move them, but it is not necessary before that.

This is an example of 'not quite too crowded but would not hurt to move them.'

Edited by RushmoreAnts, October 16 2024 - 10:25 AM.

• Ants_Dakota, rptraut and 1tsm3jack like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. argentea

Formica cf. aserva, cf. subintegra

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Pheidole bicarinata

Myrmica sp.

Lasius neoniger, brevicornis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users