• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2 lasius id's I need help with

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 12 2024 - 9:02 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

I have 2 Lasuis colonies, one has many workers, one has no eggs or workers or anything I was wondering if she might possibly be a parasite Lasius?

Attached Images

• IMG_2242.jpg
  • IMG_2241.jpg
  • IMG_2239.jpg
  • IMG_2238.jpg
  • IMG_2237.jpg
  • IMG_2236.jpg

#2 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 12 2024 - 1:08 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

The second one is definitely not a temporary parasite, she is a queen who is very very hungry looking, where did you find her?, she might be unfertile, but I can't tell that for sure. She could of used up all of her wing fat and is starved and is skinny like that, give her some honey water and see if she accepts

for species, they can be Lasius neoniger or americanus

Currently keeping:

1x Formica subsericea, (used to be polygynous) 15+ workers with 4 pupa (Idk why they still have)

1x Lasius umbratus, (Workers accepted) 5+ workers with host brood

1x Ponera pennsylvanica, just queen

As you watch your ants march, remember: every journey begins with a single step (or queen)-not just towards you, but towards a future woven by diligence and shared dreams - Me

(I lost braincells just to make this quote)

#3 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 12 2024 - 4:51 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Nailed it with the hungry part, I offered her a blob of honey water probably double the size of her and she drank every single last drop, offered her another that was about the size of her and she is drinking it as I type this, currently about halfway through it, her gaster has nearly tripled in size if I had to guess.

Edit: should I be worried about her like popping her own gaster from drinking so much?

Edited by 1tsm3jack, October 12 2024 - 4:52 PM.

#4 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 12 2024 - 10:49 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I wouldn't be worried about her popping her gaster, they'll know when to stop. And no, that is definitely not a parasite. Someone more well-versed in East Coast species could probably make a more accurate identification than I.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#5 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 13 2024 - 8:08 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Bringing this back up because I still need ID please, I will post a picture of the very full queen in a few minutes

#6 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 13 2024 - 8:38 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Here are the pictures

Attached Images

• IMG_2243.jpg
  • IMG_2244.jpg
  • IMG_2245.jpg

#7 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 15 2024 - 12:20 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Help please I would really like to know what they are.

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2024 - 2:49 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Help please I would really like to know what they are.

It is always nice to get a positive ID, but I do not think your pictures are quite good enough. In my opinion, she looks to be Lasius americanus, but there could be other similar species in your area that someone from Virginia would know more about. Keep in mind that the care for all claustral Lasius queens is nearly identical, so you should have no surprises coming up.
For the best chance at an ID, you are probably going to have to do it yourself. You can read about a similar struggle that I had here. A key from Antwiki such as this should aid you.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, October 15 2024 - 2:51 PM.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship ants nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 15 2024 - 3:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,880 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Can you describe the habitat you found them in? That may help narrow it down.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted October 15 2024 - 3:50 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The first one appears to be either neoniger or pallitarsis, and the second one, being smaller, rounder, and more piceous (darker) appears to be either americanus or crypticus (it's presence on the East Coast has yet to be verified, my best guess would be americanus.) While she does appear to be malnourished, her smaller, pudgier stature is normal for the species.

• rptraut and 1tsm3jack like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. argentea

Formica cf. aserva, cf. subintegra

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Pheidole bicarinata

Myrmica sp.

Lasius neoniger, brevicornis

#11 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 15 2024 - 3:52 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

The first one appears to be either neoniger or pallitarsis, and the second one, being smaller, rounder, and more piceous (darker) appears to be either americanus or crypticus (it's presence on the East Coast has yet to be verified, my best guess would be americanus.) While she does appear to be malnourished, her smaller, pudgier stature is normal for the species.

The smaller one has gotten a lot bigger now even compared to the picture from a day or 2 ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users