• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(I'm a beginner) my Solenopsis Invicta Journal

journal solenopsis invicta solenopsis invicta beginner aw shit here we go again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: (I'm a beginner) my Solenopsis Invicta Journal (4 member(s) have cast votes)

?

1. yes (4 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. no (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. depends (0 votes [0.00%])

4. other (reply) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline AntThingGG - Posted October 8 2024 - 11:45 AM

AntThingGG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

On September 30th I found 3 Invicta queens in my local garden. I put them in a test tube setup and I had them in there for about 2 weeks now at room temperature in the dark. I am a beginner ant keeper and I have never kept ants before. I will make polls a couple days a week about how they are doing and asking how tf do I diy [censored]. So far queen 3 has a small batch of eggs and 2 also. Queen 1 has eggs scattered around so I think she is a lost cause. Please follow this as I am a beginner and I need your input!

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Keeping:

3 Separate Solenopsis Invicta queens + Brood please come check it out

VERY BEGINNER ANT KEEPER 

#2 Offline AntThingGG - Posted October 8 2024 - 11:48 AM

AntThingGG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

If I add a unfertilized queen to a polygamous colony will they accept it for extra male production?

Keeping:

VERY BEGINNER ANT KEEPER 

#3 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 8 2024 - 1:02 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

If I add a unfertilized queen to a polygamous colony will they accept it for extra male production?

Maybe, but most likely if the queen is infertile she will just end up dying, also at this super early stage a queen that only produces males is way to many resources for a colony that doesn't even have any workers.

#4 Offline AntsTx - Posted October 8 2024 - 1:29 PM

AntsTx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

You're in for a long ride. Solenopsis invicta is a pain to keep contained, especially in DIY setups.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus texanus x2                                             Pheidole obtusospinosa - Pupae

Camponotus vicinus - 15-20 workers                         Solenopsis xyloni x7 - Batch of eggs

Camponotus pennsylvanicus - 75-85 workers           Pheidole lamia - Batch of eggs

Crematogaster lineolata x4 - 40-50 workers

Dorymyrmex bureni - 3 workers

Solenopsis invicta - 10000-15000 workers

Formica spp. - 5 workers

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis x2

#5 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted October 8 2024 - 2:07 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

I am currently keeping Solenopsis invicta right now, and you can see how I have kept them in my journal. You can find my journal in my signature.

• AntThingGG likes this

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 8 2024 - 2:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You should do a simple tub and tubes setup. Hobby Lobby display cases make great containers. Line the bottom with a thin layer of dry sand and put as many test tubes as you need in the tub. Paint the top with talc mixed with rubbing alcohol as a barrier. Better yet, cut a donut hole out of the lid and and paint talc on the bottom of the lid as a rim. That’s all the diy you need for a very successful setup.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 8 2024 - 2:35 PM.

• RushmoreAnts and rptraut like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted October 8 2024 - 2:51 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Why would you need extra male production? All workers are female, and males serve absolutely no purpose besides mating with queens (which only happens during nuptial flight, not in the nest with a few exceptions). They drain a colony's resources while doing no work, so your colony would be better off without them. If a colony does accept an unfertilized queen, it will either die or behave like a large worker. There really isn't any benefit to it.

• rptraut likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. argentea

Formica cf. aserva, cf. subintegra

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica sp.

Lasius neoniger, brevicornis

#8 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 8 2024 - 4:02 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

See, but I think having extra large workers are awesome lol

• AntThingGG likes this

I keep:

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus journal
Myrmecocystus Deplisis journal
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

I will become the #1 top poster

#9 Offline AntThingGG - Posted October 8 2024 - 4:03 PM

AntThingGG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Maybe, but most likely if the queen is infertile she will just end up dying, also at this super early stage a queen that only produces males is way to many resources for a colony that doesn't even have any workers.

Not yet but when the two colonies have about 60 workers each

Why would you need extra male production? All workers are female, and males serve absolutely no purpose besides mating with queens (which only happens during nuptial flight, not in the nest with a few exceptions). They drain a colony's resources while doing no work, so your colony would be better off without them. If a colony does accept an unfertilized queen, it will either die or behave like a large worker. There really isn't any benefit to it.

I just really don't want to kill her :(

Keeping:

VERY BEGINNER ANT KEEPER 

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 8 2024 - 4:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ants don’t practice polygamy.
  • RushmoreAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, solenopsis, invicta, solenopsis invicta, beginner, aw shit here we go again

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users