• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cincinnati Ohio 10/7/24

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline random54321 - Posted October 7 2024 - 4:22 PM

random54321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello!

I found this ant in my backyard today.

Its much larger than the ants around it. Could this ant be a queen? If so, is it claustral or semi claustral?

1. Location of collection (ie: park/area, city/town, state/province, country). You can be more specific here than in the title, but please include the information in the title here as well.

Found under a stone step in my backyard. When I flipped the stone the ant was in a small chamber of dirt that was blocked off by the stone.

2. Date of collection (more important for ID's of queens).

10/7/24 around 6pm.

3. Habitat of collection (ie: desert scrub, oak forest, riparian, etc.).

Suburban area with lots of grass pavement as well as a many trees and plants. 

4. Length (to the nearest millimeter or 1/16th of an inch.) Millimeters is preferred. Length is measured from the tip of the head to the tip of the gaster, excluding antennae, legs and stingers. Do not estimate, use a ruler! No matter how good you think you are at guessing the length of something, it's amazing how far off you can be sometimes.

Looks to be around 8 mm. I put a ruler next to the ant in the pictures for scale. 

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture (ie: dark redish-orange head, velvet-like gaster, translucent, hairy/bald, shiny/dull, etc.). Be as specific as possible, and you can use the diagram below if you need it.

Body is mostly black as well as shiny. Legs are somewhat orangish.

6. Distinguishing characteristics (ie: one petiole node/two petiole nodes, length and orientation of any spines or bumps on the thorax or waist, head shape, eye size, shape of mandibles, number of antennal segments, etc.)

I can see one sharp looking petiole at least.

7. Anything else distinctive (ie: odor, behavior, characteristics relative to others in the colony, etc.).

None that I could tell.

8. Nest description (if you can find the nest, and you're sure it belongs to the ant you collected) (ie: rotted log, volcano-shaped mound of coarse gavel 10cm in diameter, etc.).

Underneath a flat circular stone. 

9. Nuptial flight time and date (if you witnessed the ant or it's colony having a nuptial flight or caught an alate you are confident was flying that day or time)

Was already in the ground.

10 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

Attached Images

• 20241007_181922.jpg
  • 20241007_195331.jpg
  • 20241007_195433.jpg
  • 20241007_195435.jpg
  • 20241007_195436.jpg
  • 20241007_195633.jpg
  • 20241007_195645.jpg
  • 20241007_195517.jpg

• antlover18 likes this

#2 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted October 7 2024 - 5:33 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Some parasitic Lasius I presume.But we would need better pics to determine the species in general.

• antlover18 and random54321 like this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#3 Online bmb1bee - Posted October 7 2024 - 6:22 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

We'd also need a general location, like state or province for example. There are many different species of parasitic Lasius, which the queen above definitely is.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#4 Offline Nare - Posted October 7 2024 - 6:29 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

If I'm not mistaken it's Lasius claviger or some related species. Social parasite, won't found on her own.

#5 Offline eea - Posted October 7 2024 - 6:36 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

If I'm not mistaken it's Lasius claviger or some related species. Social parasite, won't found on her own.

Why was she in a founding chamber if she is parasitic?

#6 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted October 7 2024 - 6:42 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Not sure but she does seem to be one parasitic lasius queen.

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, October 7 2024 - 7:38 PM.

• eea and random54321 like this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#7 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 7 2024 - 7:18 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Looks like either Lasius Claviger or Lasius Speculiventris, as for being in a founding chamber when found, my only idea is that maybe the locality has developed a behavior where they just found without a host, which is very unlikely, or maybe she had a young host colony but accidently killed them because they only had nanitics? Those are my only guesses haha.

• eea and random54321 like this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 8 2024 - 1:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,880 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
These will wait for spring to attack host nest sometimes. That’s what she was doing.
  • eea, rptraut, 1tsm3jack and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline OiledOlives - Posted October 8 2024 - 6:11 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Lasius claviger

Not L. speculiventris, which lacks the clubbed antennae visible here and has a differently shaped head and legs.

• 1tsm3jack and random54321 like this

#10 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted October 8 2024 - 6:52 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Lasius claviger

Not L. speculiventris, which lacks the clubbed antennae visible here and has a differently shaped head and legs.

Bad pictures but I agree with him on L. claviger

• 1tsm3jack and random54321 like this

Currently keeping:

1x Formica subsericea, (used to be polygynous) 15+ workers with 4 pupa (Idk why they still have)

1x Lasius umbratus, (Workers accepted) 5+ workers with host brood

1x Ponera pennsylvanica, just queen

As you watch your ants march, remember: every journey begins with a single step (or queen)-not just towards you, but towards a future woven by diligence and shared dreams - Me

(I lost braincells just to make this quote)

#11 Offline JoeByron - Posted October 9 2024 - 7:13 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

These will wait for spring to attack host nest sometimes. That’s what she was doing.

When they least expect it.... Clever girl...

• Ants_Dakota, eea, rptraut and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users