• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID, Portugal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ECamp0s - Posted October 6 2024 - 3:20 AM

ECamp0s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAlhandra, Portugal

This past two weeks(from 22/09/24 to 05/10/24) , rains come to my region but temperature is still high(25ºcelsius), i caught up some ants wandering around and caught what i think it has a nuptial flight. i will try to manage the description with the pictures.

every ant has caught in my home region, suburban area next to my house, i have only a small stream of water that makes, temperature around 25º, humidity around 60%.

first i have what i think has a nuptial flight, i caught 7 ants all seem the same especie, not really sure if they are queens, but i caught because all of them are around 5mm, 6mm lenght. they have a hairy torso, full black color, gaster is not perfectly round. (pics 1 and 2)

for my second id i have a queen that lost her wings today, the head and torso are more on the red color, the gaster is more darken color, 5mm length, gaster is on the round shape (pic 3)

The third one is smaller in size (3mm or 4mm) i caught her on the ground wandering around, got a full black color on head and torso, the gaster is black but looks to that has some stripes pattern.(pic 4 and 5)

I don´t see stingers on any of them.

Thanks in advance (sorry for bad english)

Attached Images

• pic2.jpg
  • pic1.jpg
  • pic3.jpg
  • pic4.jpg
  • pic5.jpg

Edited by ECamp0s, October 6 2024 - 3:26 AM.

New Ant-Keeper
current colonies:

Lasius Niger (03/24) 

Messor barbarus (08/24) x2

Camponotus Piceus (First worker 09/24)

#2 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 6 2024 - 5:46 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

The first 5 are definitely males, the second one is some species of Camponotus, I believe C. lateralis, and the 3rd is Monomorium carbonarium.

#3 Online ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2024 - 7:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,880 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The second queen is Crematogaster, probably scutellaris.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Online 1tsm3jack - Posted October 6 2024 - 7:06 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

The second queen is Crematogaster, probably scutellaris.

Dang I thought it was Crematogaster, but from the bottom and then the size of it in the picture I thought it was Camponotus. 

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 6 2024 - 10:30 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

First two images are Messor males, third and last images are Crematogaster scutellaris, and the fourth image is Brachymyrmex patagonicus or Nylanderia jaegerskioeldi.

• ANTdrew and OiledOlives like this

#6 Offline ECamp0s - Posted October 10 2024 - 1:01 PM

ECamp0s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

First two images are Messor males, third and last images are Crematogaster scutellaris, and the fourth image is Brachymyrmex patagonicus or Nylanderia jaegerskioeldi.

want to give some more pics so you can check them out i will them on this post

New Ant-Keeper
current colonies:

Lasius Niger (03/24) 

#7 Offline ECamp0s - Posted October 10 2024 - 1:05 PM

ECamp0s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

the first 2 photos are the same has the forth above, this time i use flash to take the pic. also notice that this shinny silver ant queen is small is size compare to crematogaster

the third photo is the last one above. 

Attached Images

• 20241010_214932.jpg
  • 20241010_214904.jpg
  • spec 5.jpg

Edited by ECamp0s, October 10 2024 - 1:07 PM.

New Ant-Keeper
current colonies:

Lasius Niger (03/24) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users