• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nuptial flights becoming rarer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SYUTEO - Posted Yesterday, 2:22 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Although I am in an antkeeping hiatus throughout most of this year, I do still actively find ants and one thing I have noticed is that nuptial flights have become very rare at least in my country. The usual places where I would commonly find queens now have almost no queens at all, only males are ever sighted and not many of them either.

I was wondering if any of you have been experiencing this same thing this year.

Although they have much more difficult to find, I was lucky enough to encounter a Camponotus irritans queen last month and right now she has pupae! I am considering returning to antkeeping again recently and hopefully this queen will properly make that happen.

• rptraut and Ljimmy009 like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted Yesterday, 4:31 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I am also noticing a similar trend to you, only on the opposite side of the world. You can read the background sections of my Lasius journal here to hear my laments as well.

• Ljimmy009 likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide!

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Formica sp. Journal

#3 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted Yesterday, 7:38 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

There aren't many nuptials happening over here on the east coast because of lower then average temperatures right now, and then its winter so will have to wait until march or so to see nuptials again probably

#4 Offline Ljimmy009 - Posted Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Ljimmy009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCalifornia (South)

Although I am in an antkeeping hiatus throughout most of this year, I do still actively find ants and one thing I have noticed is that nuptial flights have become very rare at least in my country. The usual places where I would commonly find queens now have almost no queens at all, only males are ever sighted and not many of them either.

Although they have much more difficult to find, I was lucky enough to encounter a Camponotus irritans queen last month and right now she has pupae! I am considering returning to antkeeping again recently and hopefully this queen will properly make that happen.

I think it's just that nuptial flights in one specific area will always change depending on the population ofcolonies and temperature. I didn't catch as much Pogonomyrmex as I did in Lancaster compared to last year where I caught more than 10. 

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted Yesterday, 2:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,800 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Overall numbers weren’t that different in my area than usual. Some species are being affected by the Brachyponera chinensis onslaught, though.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted Yesterday, 2:59 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Overall numbers weren’t that different in my area than usual. Some species are being affected by the Brachyponera chinensis onslaught, though.

We have brachyponera chinensis in Virginia? 

#7 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted Yesterday, 2:59 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I also haven't seen any nuptial flights since early August.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

I keep:

(angry) Pogonomyrmex Rugosus,
(stubborn) Myrmecocystus Deplisis
Tetramorium Immigrans
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap)                                                                                                                                                        Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant)

Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant                                                                                                             Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

#8 Online ANTdrew - Posted Yesterday, 4:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,800 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes, unfortunately.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline bmb1bee - Posted Yesterday, 5:25 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Likely just because you haven't been looking in the right spots. Here in NorCal, Camponotus, Stenamma, Aphaenogaster, and Crematogaster are having their flights and will likely continue doing so for the next few heat waves remaining this season. We also have Pogonomyrmex subdentatus, Camponotus yogi, and Hypoponera spp. flying soon.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#10 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted Yesterday, 5:40 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Yes, unfortunately.

Oh shoot. Not gonna lie it would be kinda cool to keep them though, not so cool that they are invasive. You think I could find them here in charlottesville?

#11 Offline SYUTEO - Posted Yesterday, 11:47 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I think it's just that nuptial flights in one specific area will always change depending on the population ofcolonies and temperature. I didn't catch as much Pogonomyrmex as I did in Lancaster compared to last year where I caught more than 10. 

I see, actually now that I think of it, there does seem to be an increase in Anoplolepis gracillipes populations around my area although antmaps.org lists A. gracilipes as native to Malaysia. The temperature recently has increased so I think that has something to do with it too.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#12 Online ANTdrew - Posted Today, 1:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,800 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes, unfortunately.
Oh shoot. Not gonna lie it would be kinda cool to keep them though, not so cool that they are invasive. You think I could find them here in charlottesville?

They are abundant here in Alexandria and well established in North Carolina, so yes you could. They are difficult to keep in captivity.
  • 1tsm3jack likes this

#13 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted Today, 3:17 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Yes, unfortunately.

They are abundant here in Alexandria and well established in North Carolina, so yes you could. They are difficult to keep in captivity.

I've never seen them around here which is suprising if they're that established, considering the amount of time I spend walking trails through the woods looking at ants.

#14 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted Today, 6:42 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

Just around three or four days ago there was a huge Brachymyrmex patagonicus flight, and I also found one of what I think is Pheidole but I will post an ID thread soon. There were also about four of what I think were formica and I found five Solenopsis invicta queens, along with what I think is Pogonomyrmex, as this queen has slightly different coloration as compared to the Solenopsis invicta queens and different head shape, mandible placement, mandible shape, antennae length, leg length, its gaster is a light gray, as the Solenopsis invicta gaster's are a dark black, and its thorax is also lighter than Solenopsis invicta queens, and what makes me think it is Pogonomyrmex is that it cannot get a grip on the plastic test tube, unlike the Solenopsis invicta queens. I will try to post an ID on all of these queens except for the ones that I know the species of lmao. I am NOT trying to ID my queen here, I am just talking about what I have found. :lol:

Edited by cooIboyJ, Today, 6:43 AM.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#15 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted Today, 6:44 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Just around three or four days ago there was a huge Brachymyrmex patagonicus flight, and I also found one of what I think is Pheidole but I will post an ID thread soon. There were also about four of what I think were formica and I found five Solenopsis invicta queens, along with what I think is Pogonomyrmex, as this queen has slightly different coloration as compared to the Solenopsis invicta queens and different head shape, mandible placement, mandible shape, antennae length, leg length, its gaster is a light gray, as the Solenopsis invicta gaster's are a dark black, and its thorax is also lighter than Solenopsis invicta queens, and what makes me think it is Pogonomyrmex is that it cannot get a grip on the plastic test tube, unlike the Solenopsis invicta queens. I will try to post an ID on all of these queens except for the ones that I know the species of lmao. I am NOT trying to ID my queen here, I am just talking about what I have found. :lol:

Nice, ill be interested to see it.

• cooIboyJ likes this

#16 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted Today, 9:06 AM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Likely just because you haven't been looking in the right spots. Here in NorCal, Camponotus, Stenamma, Aphaenogaster, and Crematogaster are having their flights and will likely continue doing so for the next few heat waves remaining this season. We also have Pogonomyrmex subdentatus, Camponotus yogi, and Hypoponera spp. flying soon.

Really? I have like 20 acres of forest behind my house, and I haven't seen anything. But I'll keep my eyes out for the species that you listed  (y)

I keep:

(angry) Pogonomyrmex Rugosus,
(stubborn) Myrmecocystus Deplisis
Tetramorium Immigrans
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap)                                                                                                                                                        Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant)

Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant                                                                                                             Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

#17 Offline Evolver54 - Posted Today, 10:06 AM

Evolver54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

What is the expected time for brachymyrmex to stop flying? I have been looking for a queen to add to my existing test tube but no luck.

"A N T  S E E  A N T  D O"

-Some 12 year old in South Florida

Keeper of brachymyrmex sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users