• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Identifying a Neoponera villosa worker from a queen

neoponera villosa neoponera villosa

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTx - Posted September 20 2024 - 6:04 PM

AntsTx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Hello y'all,

I'm going down to Brownsville, TX soon to go on an intense anting trip to find Neoponera villosa and I was wondering if their is an easy way to identify the difference from a worker and a queen quickly in the field. Also, If required, I could put what I think is a queen in a test tube and pull out my macro lens rq to identify her, but if there is a faster way to do this please let me know.

Edit: also I need to know how to id her

Edited by AntsTx, September 20 2024 - 6:14 PM.

• cooIboyJ likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus texanus x2                                             Pheidole obtusospinosa - Larvae

Camponotus vicinus - 15-20 workers                         Solenopsis xyloni x7 - Batch of eggs

Camponotus pennsylvanicus - 60-75 workers

Crematogaster lineolata x6 - 15-30 workers

Dorymyrmex bureni - 3 workers

Solenopsis invicta - 5000-7500 workers

Formica spp. - 5 workers

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis x2 - 1-5 workers, 1-3 pupae

#2 Offline eea - Posted September 20 2024 - 6:29 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
I think the best ways are just through wing scars or thorax size.
  • AntsTx likes this

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted September 20 2024 - 8:05 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • LocationCalif.

The queens will be marginally larger, have a flight sclerite, and an overall bulkier mesosoma. Look at Inaturalist observations for a plethora of images.

• OiledOlives and AntsTx like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neoponera villosa, neoponera, villosa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users