• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Introducing a Lasius Parasite

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted Today, 11:00 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

So my L. niger colony’s queen died recently (abt 2 weeks ago) and I have also caught a lasius parasite, (L. umbratus to be precise) I am going to post photos later to see if I am right. Anyways, I want to Introduce the queen to the colony and I have heard that a queenless colony is more accepting to the parasitic queen.

Should I give her some workers for the colony to cull, then introduce her to the colony

please give me advice I am really clueless on what to do with the queenless colony

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted Today, 11:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Look in the archives for the thorough tutorial on how to do this. Search first, then post.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted Today, 12:51 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

So my L. niger colony’s queen died recently (abt 2 weeks ago) and I have also caught a lasius parasite, (L. umbratus to be precise) I am going to post photos later to see if I am right. Anyways, I want to Introduce the queen to the colony and I have heard that a queenless colony is more accepting to the parasitic queen.

Should I give her some workers for the colony to cull, then introduce her to the colony

please give me advice I am really clueless on what to do with the queenless colony

Lasius umbratus is a European species. The American variant was renamed Lasius aphidicola.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted Today, 1:19 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Look in the archives for the thorough tutorial on how to do this. Search first, then post.

This is incredibly correct, especially in this situation. A search would have yielded you this. I know creating a post is easier but searching will yield you the most in-depth information.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, Today, 1:35 PM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide!

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#5 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted Today, 1:49 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Lasius umbratus is a European species. The American variant was renamed Lasius aphidicola.

1. Ik that but... aphidicola is around 6mm and she is close to 8mm that is why I said Umbratus, but thank you for pointing out that (please tell me if I am wrong again, like I said I have minimal experience with parasites)

2. I gave her 2 workers and then what happened is that whenever the workers meet with her, they either touch her with their antennas or they start "jumping" does that mean they accepted her?

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted Today, 2:36 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

1. Ik that but... aphidicola is around 6mm and she is close to 8mm that is why I said Umbratus, but thank you for pointing out that (please tell me if I am wrong again, like I said I have minimal experience with parasites)

2. I gave her 2 workers and then what happened is that whenever the workers meet with her, they either touch her with their antennas or they start "jumping" does that mean they accepted her?

Lasius "juke" when stressed, like when you check on them with light, so probably not. However, that is a better sign than them fighting. I would look for signs of grooming or trophallaxis to know for certain she is accepted. As a sidenote, the subgenus Chthonolasius is easier to keep, and it is more likely the queen will be truly accepted. Other subgenera can have "fake" founding, with the workers killing the queen after weeks of no violence.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide!

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#7 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted Today, 2:54 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Lasius "juke" when stressed, like when you check on them with light, so probably not. However, that is a better sign than them fighting. I would look for signs of grooming or trophallaxis to know for certain she is accepted. As a sidenote, the subgenus Chthonolasius is easier to keep, and it is more likely the queen will be truly accepted. Other subgenera can have "fake" founding, with the workers killing the queen after weeks of no violence.

They are grooming! Now what do I do? do I keep them as a colony of 3, I slowly introduce new workers to the colony? or do I just put the queen in the nest where all of the workers reside?

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

OwlThatLikesAnts