• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

why alternatives to fluon ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mete - Posted September 15 2024 - 2:06 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland
I see there are posts about alternative barriers, other than fluon. Is there a particular reason for alternatives ? Fluon does not seem to be expensive for the quantity used.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 15 2024 - 3:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cost is the main reason many youngsters don’t want to buy fluon. Talc mixed with alcohol is a great alternative. Some keepers have success with mineral oil as well.
  • Barristan and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Online Ants_Dakota - Posted September 15 2024 - 6:39 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Cost is the main reason many youngsters don’t want to buy fluon. Talc mixed with alcohol is a great alternative. Some keepers have success with mineral oil as well.

Agreed. At least a few years ago when I purchased mine, it was a 4 dollar baby powder bottle vs. 40 dollars of fluon. That is pretty deterring. I think it is better now though.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship ants nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

#4 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted September 15 2024 - 7:38 AM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I see there are posts about alternative barriers, other than fluon. Is there a particular reason for alternatives ? Fluon does not seem to be expensive for the quantity used.

It depends, fluon from THA is $9-$600. https://tarheelants....roducts/fluon-1

Edited by AntsGodzilla, September 15 2024 - 7:38 AM.

I keep:

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus journal
Myrmecocystus Deplisis journal
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

#5 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted September 15 2024 - 11:42 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

Talc powder mixed with rubbing alcohol is cheaper for the amount you get, and can sometimes work better than fluon, unless you have a massive colony that is always trying to escape. 

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#6 Offline Barristan - Posted September 15 2024 - 11:46 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Talc powder is also an excellent escape barrier.

You can also apply it dry with your finger. A little bit messy, but works fine too.

Edited by Barristan, September 15 2024 - 11:47 AM.

#7 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 15 2024 - 12:33 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Go with fluon if you want your hands to be free of skin tags

#8 Offline ReignofRage - Posted September 15 2024 - 5:21 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Aside from price, fluon isn't always the best option for where you live and/or the setup you keep your ants in. PTFE barriers breaks down relatively quickly in higher humidity, which means using a setup that has a lid will lead to it breaking down faster than other options. Additionally, it's difficult to "patch" or "touch up" spots in PTFE barriers that are breaking down, whereas with other barriers you can directly apply over top of the original barrier. The upsides to PTFE is that for very large colonies, it's much tougher for the ants to wear down the barrier because the ants slip off of it, unlike with talcum powder. 

• mbullock42086, ANTdrew, cocdeshijie and 1 other like this

#9 Offline cocdeshijie - Posted September 15 2024 - 7:57 PM

cocdeshijie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationCalifornia/Ohio

other than stuff mentioned above

talc is easier to clean than fluon

• Barristan and rptraut like this

誰でも大好き!well.....except a few

cocdeshijie’s Formicarium Guides: https://cocdeshijie....cfe2df393b517f7

Ants API: https://ants-api.qwq.xyz/

#10 Offline mete - Posted September 16 2024 - 11:12 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Aside from price, fluon isn't always the best option for where you live and/or the setup you keep your ants in. PTFE barriers breaks down relatively quickly in higher humidity, which means using a setup that has a lid will lead to it breaking down faster than other options. Additionally, it's difficult to "patch" or "touch up" spots in PTFE barriers that are breaking down, whereas with other barriers you can directly apply over top of the original barrier. The upsides to PTFE is that for very large colonies, it's much tougher for the ants to wear down the barrier because the ants slip off of it, unlike with talcum powder.

Good to know, I didn't know its property changes with humidity. Is there a certain number for higher humidity ? >70% ?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users