• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Imagine it, and I Will Create it

29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MyrmecologyLab - Posted August 23 2024 - 10:33 PM

MyrmecologyLab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hello all, I'm looking for new formicarium idea's, perhaps something that hasn't been done before or is unique to the formicarium's available now. The top one or two idea's that I like, I will attempt to create and send to the original idea creator for FREE. The only down side if you could call it is a downside, I may or may not recreate it and sell them.  I'm not planning on that, but it is a possibility. With that being said, I mainly just enjoy creating things. So regardless if it seems difficult or overly excessive, just put it out there. You may just get yourself a new formicarium.   

Edited by MyrmecologyLab, August 23 2024 - 10:35 PM.

• bmb1bee, GOCAMPONOTUS and cooIboyJ like this

sml_gallery_8437_2366_8807.png

U.S. Based Organization Surrounding and Supplying the Hobby of Ant keeping and Myrmecology

MyrmecologyLab.com

#2 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted August 24 2024 - 8:12 AM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

maybe a two story atta/arcomyrmex formicarium with the bottom nest completely bare, and the second story with a landscape of some sort like a dry river bed a few inches lower than the ground where the ants could collect leaves or flower petals 

Edited by AntsGodzilla, August 24 2024 - 8:13 AM.

• cooIboyJ and MyrmecologyLab like this

I keep:

(angry) Pogonomyrmex Rugosus,
(stubborn) Myrmecocystus Deplisis
Tetramorium Immigrans
Monomorium Minimum

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap)

Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant)

Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant

Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

#3 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 24 2024 - 9:03 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

PMed my idea

• cooIboyJ, antlover18 and MyrmecologyLab like this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#4 Offline MyrmecologyLab - Posted August 25 2024 - 12:55 AM

MyrmecologyLab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

maybe a two story atta/arcomyrmex formicarium with the bottom nest completely bare, and the second story with a landscape of some sort like a dry river bed a few inches lower than the ground where the ants could collect leaves or flower petals

I think it could be done. Do you have a species that you would utilize this nest for?

U.S. Based Organization Surrounding and Supplying the Hobby of Ant keeping and Myrmecology

MyrmecologyLab.com

#5 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 25 2024 - 6:11 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
[Deleted]

Edited by cooIboyJ, August 29 2024 - 10:33 AM.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#6 Offline jabasson - Posted August 27 2024 - 5:20 PM

jabasson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Formicarium that has a way to cool the nest for hibernation without need of a fridge, as well as heater for total temp control. I've been thinking of trying this one myself at some point in the far future. 

#7 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 27 2024 - 8:33 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Something like a horizontal formicarium, but the outworld is attached on top and can be rotated to reveal the nest. The idea has some room for improvement and improvising, but I do think it's an interesting thing to try out.

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2024-08-27 213355.png

Edited by bmb1bee, August 27 2024 - 8:33 PM.

• ExponentMars, eea, Voidley and 2 others like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#8 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 28 2024 - 6:22 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

Something like a horizontal formicarium, but the outworld is attached on top and can be rotated to reveal the nest. The idea has some room for improvement and improvising, but I do think it's an interesting thing to try out.

That's actually a really good idea. Just as a suggestion, you should make the thing that the outworld spins on a piece of tubing so that you aren't interrupting the ants too much.

Edited by cooIboyJ, August 28 2024 - 6:24 AM.

• bmb1bee and IdioticMouse26 like this

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#9 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 28 2024 - 8:30 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

That's actually a really good idea. Just as a suggestion, you should make the thing that the outworld spins on a piece of tubing so that you aren't interrupting the ants too much.

Yeah, that was part of my idea as well.

• cooIboyJ likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#10 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 28 2024 - 9:37 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

if any body is going to win a free formicarium you are going to be one of them.
  • bmb1bee, antlover18 and IdioticMouse26 like this

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#11 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 28 2024 - 12:53 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

if any body is going to win a free formicarium you are going to be one of them.

Bmb1bee pm him that's how I'm getting my idea officially started soon.

• bmb1bee, cooIboyJ and antlover18 like this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#12 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 29 2024 - 10:32 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
I pmed my idea just now. But a little more understandable.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#13 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted August 29 2024 - 11:55 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

It's not a full formicarium, but i am working on figuring out a nest that's kind of an L shape to have both horizontal and vertical chambers in a single nest object.

Though as i have been working on this i'm sure it will have to be two parts connected rather than a single uni-body nest design. As i can't pour both sections in a single mold, with the vertical chambers laid horizontal during the pour.

So far i've imagined the horizontal nest, if it were a typical 4"x4" square, would get an added 1.5"-2" along the back side with no chambers,  but a tube hole or two going from inside a horizontal chamber out the top back strip vertically. So that the vertical nest part would line up over those holes to allow entry.

I'm thinking the back strip that holds the vertical nest needs some kind of keyed/dovetailed connection situation to help keep the vertical nest section attached and not falling over.

Anyway this has been the idea in my head of late to attempt on my next nest build. But i'm probably a bit too lazy to really try hard enough, and will just wind up with a horizontal only nest like my others.

• ANTdrew, cooIboyJ and MyrmecologyLab like this

#14 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 29 2024 - 3:10 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

It's not a full formicarium, but i am working on figuring out a nest that's kind of an L shape to have both horizontal and vertical chambers in a single nest object.

Though as i have been working on this i'm sure it will have to be two parts connected rather than a single uni-body nest design. As i can't pour both sections in a single mold, with the vertical chambers laid horizontal during the pour.

So far i've imagined the horizontal nest, if it were a typical 4"x4" square, would get an added 1.5"-2" along the back side with no chambers,  but a tube hole or two going from inside a horizontal chamber out the top back strip vertically. So that the vertical nest part would line up over those holes to allow entry.

I'm thinking the back strip that holds the vertical nest needs some kind of keyed/dovetailed connection situation to help keep the vertical nest section attached and not falling over.

Anyway this has been the idea in my head of late to attempt on my next nest build. But i'm probably a bit too lazy to really try hard enough, and will just wind up with a horizontal only nest like my others.

you should pm MyrmecologyLab your idea.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#15 Offline MyrmecologyLab - Posted August 30 2024 - 6:56 AM

MyrmecologyLab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I responded to all PM'd ideas. :)

Formicarium that has a way to cool the nest for hibernation without need of a fridge, as well as heater for total temp control. I've been thinking of trying this one myself at some point in the far future. 

Internal heating is very manageable. However the intercooling would be a major challenge but it would be interesting to draw up some concepts. I like the idea, perhaps, I will work with some heating options to start and go from there.

Draw up the design when you get some time, and PM it to me. Sounds manageable.

• cooIboyJ likes this

MyrmecologyLab.com

#16 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 30 2024 - 9:22 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

Yo I have an idea to help with the cooling problem, you should try to mimic the cooling in a pc.

Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#17 Offline jabasson - Posted August 30 2024 - 3:26 PM

jabasson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

For heating I would just use a thermostat with some sort of heating resistor or something.

The cooling would be hard but very cool. I don't know how much of a challenge it will be because I haven't tried it, but what I would look into first is a peltier module with a heat sink and silent fan. The biggest challenge is finding a place to hide a giant heatsink and power supply (step down from 120V to 12V also I think it needs DC), but since the nest only needs to cool to 40 degrees I think a smaller heatsink might work. I have also read that you can power the peltier module with less voltage and get away with a smaller heatsink. Besides that you would need a way to insulate the nest well. Surrounding in foam could work, but I'm not sure how good the glass would be for insulation. If I were to make it I would probably make my own thermostat PID controller using an atmega chip and a custom circuit board, since I am a computer engineer, although I have seen premade thermostats. Again I've never messed with temperature control before so I have no idea how hard it would be. If you plan to attempt this good luck. 

Thermostat

Peltier Module: Note that this heatsink is way too small and if run at 12V comments say the module burns up, will need to use less voltage or get one with more heatsink.

Maybe could use a charging cord that is 12V as the power instead of power supply. Note for non tech guys, current rating just shows how much current can be supplied, source will only take as much as it needs so you just need something with more current than what you intend to power. Peltier modules usually take 6A, and you would need a bit extra to power the thermostat, probably in the realm of milliamps. The 20A rating is probably just how much the thermostat can supply before frying. 

#18 Offline MyrmecologyLab - Posted August 30 2024 - 10:18 PM

MyrmecologyLab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

For heating I would just use a thermostat with some sort of heating resistor or something.

The cooling would be hard but very cool. I don't know how much of a challenge it will be because I haven't tried it, but what I would look into first is a peltier module with a heat sink and silent fan. The biggest challenge is finding a place to hide a giant heatsink and power supply (step down from 120V to 12V also I think it needs DC), but since the nest only needs to cool to 40 degrees I think a smaller heatsink might work. I have also read that you can power the peltier module with less voltage and get away with a smaller heatsink. Besides that you would need a way to insulate the nest well. Surrounding in foam could work, but I'm not sure how good the glass would be for insulation. If I were to make it I would probably make my own thermostat PID controller using an atmega chip and a custom circuit board, since I am a computer engineer, although I have seen premade thermostats. Again I've never messed with temperature control before so I have no idea how hard it would be. If you plan to attempt this good luck. 

Thermostat

Peltier Module: Note that this heatsink is way too small and if run at 12V comments say the module burns up, will need to use less voltage or get one with more heatsink.

Maybe could use a charging cord that is 12V as the power instead of power supply. Note for non tech guys, current rating just shows how much current can be supplied, source will only take as much as it needs so you just need something with more current than what you intend to power. Peltier modules usually take 6A, and you would need a bit extra to power the thermostat, probably in the realm of milliamps. The 20A rating is probably just how much the thermostat can supply before frying. 

I will look into options and get back to you. No doubt there would be a lot of complications. 

• cooIboyJ likes this

MyrmecologyLab.com

#19 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted August 31 2024 - 8:28 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

I responded to all PM'd ideas. :)

Draw up the design when you get some time, and PM it to me. Sounds manageable.

Oh I'm Cpt.Cudgel. I don't have such plans to send outside my brain. I once built a covered patio but couldn't say exactly how big it was as a measuring tape never once visited the site. ;)

Thanks for the offer though.

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, August 31 2024 - 8:29 AM.

#20 Offline Mushu - Posted September 13 2024 - 5:32 PM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California
I’d say if someone can incorporate a way to replace dirty glass as seamless as possible would be a great addition to a formicarium.
  • eea and jabasson like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users