• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Olive Oil Barrier

olive oil barrier alternate barrier

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4ever7 - Posted September 14 2024 - 12:06 PM

Ants4ever7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Has anyone used olive oil with smaller ants before. They are a tiny colony and not very aggresive. Is baby powder-rubbing alcohol better. If so what ratio?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 14 2024 - 12:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,770 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t use it. Olive oil is widely considered to be the least effective barrier. Use 100% talc mixed with alcohol. Baby powder is now made with corn starch or other components, not talc.

Edited by ANTdrew, September 15 2024 - 3:54 AM.

• OiledOlives likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted September 14 2024 - 1:45 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Has anyone used olive oil with smaller ants before. They are a tiny colony and not very aggresive. Is baby powder-rubbing alcohol better. If so what ratio?

Fluon is also good

I keep:

(angry) Pogonomyrmex Rugosus,
(stubborn) Myrmecocystus Deplisis
Tetramorium Immigrans
Monomorium Minimum

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap)

Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant)

Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant

Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

#4 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 14 2024 - 2:01 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Don’t use it. Olive oil is widely considered to be the least effective barrier. Use 100% talc mixed with alcohol. Baby powder is now made for corn starch or other components, not talc.

yep, talcum powder was causing skin tags.  i got one too had an itchy rash on my thigh and used talc to sooth it, not knowing it would give me a skin tag.

#5 Offline rptraut - Posted September 14 2024 - 9:52 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello Ants4ever7;

When I first started ant keeping, I wanted an ant barrier that would be safe, easy to apply, and last a long time on a vertical surface.    I read about Olive oil and the problems with it being eaten by some ants, so I used heavy mineral oil that was in my medicine cabinet.   My mother used to give it to us kids as a laxative so I knew it should be safe for ants.   

A while ago I started a thread about heavy mineral oil that you will find here   Heavy Mineral Oil as a Barrier - General Ant Keeping - Ants & Myrmecology Forum (formiculture.com)

You'll find information and opinions on other deterrents like fluon in the thread, I hope the information is useful.

RPT

• Ants_Dakota likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olive oil, barrier, alternate barrier

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users