• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this aphid farmable?

aphid farming ant faming honeydew

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Stubyvast - Posted September 14 2024 - 10:13 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I spotted this little guy in my terrarium today, and I was wondering, if I potentially placed an ant colony here, such as ​Camponotus or formica, who farm aphids, would they farm this species? I know very little about aphids, input would be awesome. thanks guys!

IMG_1609.jpeg

(By the way, photoshopped this image just a bit to increase clarity. Hope that helps aphid connoisseurs identify the species. Thanks!)

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#2 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 14 2024 - 12:25 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

they will probably tend it, but not farm it.

i think the only aphids truly farmed are root aphids, could be wrong though.  root aphids are the tiny black aphids you see at the base of grass.

You could also use mealybugs for tending, that should be easier since they will readily colonize indoor plants like pothos

Edited by mbullock42086, September 14 2024 - 12:27 PM.

#3 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted September 14 2024 - 1:39 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

they could use her, or him, but where I am, they love to farm any aphid in mass, does not matter where it is

btw the plant has to be live

Edited by OwlThatLikesAnts, September 14 2024 - 1:39 PM.

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#4 Offline rptraut - Posted September 14 2024 - 10:23 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello Stubyvast;

I'm sorry I can't help you with aphid ID and I don't know the difference between tending aphids and farming aphids, I thought they were the same thing.   

What I can tell you is that the aphid pictured looks like a female.   They can produce eggs, but more often they give live birth to "baby" aphids and usually do so quite prolifically, at least on my roses.    Any source of sugar substances or honeydew, whether produced by plants, aphids, scale insects, or coccids, can be a source of food for ants.   Ants encourage the aphids to expel honeydew by stroking them with their antennae and they'll also move them to more desirable places on a plant, usually fresh, new growth.    Perhaps this is where the farming analogy comes from.   They milk the aphids and move them to better pastures.   They also protect them from predators like lady bugs and lacewings.   Ants have also been seen to eat unwanted aphids, ones that are old or dying and males.   

Your aphid appears to be taking sap from the plant; therefore, it should produce honeydew.    I'm sure it would make a suitable cow in your ant's herd. 

RPT 

• ANTdrew likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#5 Offline Stubyvast - Posted September 15 2024 - 8:11 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Oh nice! Thanks guys, this is awesome (I also didn't know there was a difference between farming and tending)

Hello Stubyvast;

I'm sorry I can't help you with aphid ID and I don't know the difference between tending aphids and farming aphids, I thought they were the same thing.   

What I can tell you is that the aphid pictured looks like a female.   They can produce eggs, but more often they give live birth to "baby" aphids and usually do so quite prolifically, at least on my roses.    Any source of sugar substances or honeydew, whether produced by plants, aphids, scale insects, or coccids, can be a source of food for ants.   Ants encourage the aphids to expel honeydew by stroking them with their antennae and they'll also move them to more desirable places on a plant, usually fresh, new growth.    Perhaps this is where the farming analogy comes from.   They milk the aphids and move them to better pastures.   They also protect them from predators like lady bugs and lacewings.   Ants have also been seen to eat unwanted aphids, ones that are old or dying and males.   

Your aphid appears to be taking sap from the plant; therefore, it should produce honeydew.    I'm sure it would make a suitable cow in your ant's herd. 

RPT 

Awesome. Today I checked on them and yes, there was around 3 new babies and what appears to be another female. That is good to know! I have a few ​lasius niger queens, so I might put a colony of those in the terrarium and see how it goes. Any suggestions for predators I should introduce to keep the population under control?

they will probably tend it, but not farm it.

i think the only aphids truly farmed are root aphids, could be wrong though.  root aphids are the tiny black aphids you see at the base of grass.

You could also use mealybugs for tending, that should be easier since they will readily colonize indoor plants like pothos

Okay good to know! I should see if I can find some root aphids and put them in. The only thing I'm concerned about is if the aphid numbers overwhelm the plants. In this case a mass culling will have to be done (I've done this twice with the aphids in my terrarium, and surprisingly easy to do!).

• rptraut likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphid, farming, ant faming, honeydew

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users