• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Creepy Things while Anting

creepy anting

27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted September 21 2024 - 7:23 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

My local park which has quite a bit of ant diversity isn't as safe as it may seem, two people shot dead there last week, and many more were murdered in the apartments across the street from that park. One of my younger friends and his brother were followed around there by a suspicious man in a suspicious looking vehicle just walking around in broad daylight. No doubt lots of drug deals and shady activity goes down there. That's not even a bad part of town, I can think of many worse parks in Sioux Falls off the top of my head. There's also been reports of people murdered camping in Minnesota state parks. Never heard of something like that happening here across the boarder in SD state parks, but it's quite possible.

Edited by RushmoreAnts, September 21 2024 - 7:24 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#22 Offline AntsTx - Posted September 21 2024 - 7:29 PM

AntsTx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

My local park which has quite a bit of ant diversity isn't as safe as it may seem, two people shot dead there last week, and many more were murdered in the apartments across the street from that park. One of my younger friends and his brother were followed around there by a suspicious man in a suspicious looking vehicle just walking around in broad daylight. No doubt lots of drug deals and shady activity goes down there. That's not even a bad part of town, I can think of many worse parks in Sioux Falls off the top of my head. There's also been reports of people murdered camping in Minnesota state parks. Never heard of something like that happening here across the boarder in SD state parks, but it's quite possible.

oof, that's never good

Edited by AntsTx, September 21 2024 - 7:32 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus texanus x2                                             Pheidole obtusospinosa - Larvae

Camponotus vicinus - 15-20 workers                         Solenopsis xyloni x7 - Batch of eggs

Camponotus pennsylvanicus - 60-75 workers

Crematogaster lineolata x6 - 15-30 workers

Dorymyrmex bureni - 3 workers

Solenopsis invicta - 5000-7500 workers

Formica spp. - 5 workers

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis x2 - 1-5 workers, 1-3 pupae

#23 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted September 21 2024 - 7:48 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Yeah, it could be worse though, as Sioux Falls has a relatively low crime rate for a city. In Sioux Falls when walking around a bad part of town like Axtel Park or Whittier at night you might get victimized. In, say, a bad part of the South Side of Chicago you probably will get victimized. I still feel safe at night.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Myrmica sp.

#24 Offline rptraut - Posted September 21 2024 - 9:52 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello Everyone;

Where I live, we have a different kind of scary, like howling coyotes that sound like they're right outside your back door, or a cougar print in the mud while you're walking through the bush.    I do most of my anting at home and the scariest thing I encounter is when my wife gets home and wants to know what I've been doing and why the grass isn't cut yet!

RPT

• ANTdrew, RushmoreAnts, UtahAnts and 3 others like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#25 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted Yesterday, 7:10 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

In rural South Dakota this is very common as well, coyotes will often eat people's pets; while cougars are not as common, they still definitely exist. I live in a city, so personally I have a different set of problems, though the majority of South Dakotans live in such a rural/small town setting.

• rptraut likes this

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Myrmica sp.

#26 Offline AntsTx - Posted Yesterday, 7:16 AM

AntsTx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

In rural South Dakota this is very common as well, coyotes will often eat people's pets; while cougars are not as common, they still definitely exist. I live in a city, so personally I have a different set of problems, though the majority of South Dakotans live in such a rural/small town setting.

My dog would go absolutely nuts on a coyote lol. I used to have a lake house around Lewisville and there was coyotes everywhere (we didn't have the attack dog at the time, only 2 smaller ones) so we had to watch our dogs go do their business so they wouldn't get attacked. It was always sad when we heard that a neighbors dog or cat died because of a coyote.  :(

• RushmoreAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus texanus x2                                             Pheidole obtusospinosa - Larvae

Camponotus vicinus - 15-20 workers                         Solenopsis xyloni x7 - Batch of eggs

Formica spp. - 5 workers

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted Yesterday, 9:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hello Everyone;

Where I live, we have a different kind of scary, like howling coyotes that sound like they're right outside your back door, or a cougar print in the mud while you're walking through the bush. I do most of my anting at home and the scariest thing I encounter is when my wife gets home and wants to know what I've been doing and why the grass isn't cut yet!
RPT

There’s no scary like angry wife scary!
  • RushmoreAnts, GOCAMPONOTUS and AntsTx like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline AntsTx - Posted Yesterday, 12:32 PM

AntsTx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

:lol:

Currently Keeping:

Formica spp. - 5 workers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: creepy, anting

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users