• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Possible Lasius Queen, Eastern Ontario, Canada (9/11/2024)

Best Answer OiledOlives , September 11 2024 - 5:10 AM

Lasius (Cautolasius), likely L. brevicornis in a suburban area. Not in a "neoniger complex", which is a taxonomic term I have never heard of.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hank.Scorpio - Posted September 10 2024 - 10:25 PM

Hank.Scorpio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Location/Habitat: Suburb
Date of collection: Wed 14 Aug 2024
Length: ~8mm
Nuptial flight time: Wed 14 Aug 2024 ~6:30-7pm landing time

Appears to be a Lasius queen, but does anyone have an idea of the species or it's possible quirks such as being parasitic?
Caught several of these the evening of the flight, then another the following day digging a hole around some brickwork and gravel.

lasius-maybe1.jpg
lasius-maybe2.jpg
lasius-maybe3.jpg

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 11 2024 - 4:31 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I can not guarantee what species of Lasius that is, but it is definitely in the neoniger complex. It is also not parasitic, and is fully claustral.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide!

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#3 Offline OiledOlives - Posted September 11 2024 - 5:10 AM   Best Answer

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Lasius (Cautolasius), likely L. brevicornis in a suburban area. Not in a "neoniger complex", which is a taxonomic term I have never heard of.

#4 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted September 11 2024 - 5:44 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

I believe he was referring to the term niger complex. Take this excerpt from AntWiki: "Wilson (1955) - The worker is best distinguished by its abundant standing appendage pilosity combined with the clypeal outline and mandibular dentition characteristic of the "niger complex" (Lasius nigerLasius alienusLasius emarginatusLasius productus)." Note this is out of date, as North American alienus is now americanus, etc., though I believe that general species group is what he was referring to.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 11 2024 - 8:29 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Why I don't do ID's :facepalm:I think the coloration of the whole image threw me off

Edited by Ants_Dakota, September 11 2024 - 8:31 AM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 11 2024 - 8:30 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

I believe he was referring to the term niger complex. Take this excerpt from AntWiki: "Wilson (1955) - The worker is best distinguished by its abundant standing appendage pilosity combined with the clypeal outline and mandibular dentition characteristic of the "niger complex" (Lasius nigerLasius alienusLasius emarginatusLasius productus)." Note this is out of date, as North American alienus is now americanus, etc., though I believe that general species group is what he was referring to.

Yes, i attempted to "revise" it by referring to them by their north american ID names so that American ant keepers can correctly ID. I shall correct it to neoniger/niger group in the future. But, as it appears I did not ID correctly, there is no need to pay attention to my post.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, September 11 2024 - 9:23 AM.

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#7 Offline Hank.Scorpio - Posted September 13 2024 - 1:13 AM

Hank.Scorpio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you everyone.

#8 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 13 2024 - 7:56 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Seconding Cautolasius. If you can get a photo that shows the head shape in full face view and the scape length (best seen with the scape held in repose, towards the back of the head), it should help distinguish between L. brevicornis and L. nearcticus.

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 13 2024 - 7:58 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

You can also compare them to pictures from my journal here

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users