• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ECamp0s - Posted August 7 2024 - 1:08 AM

ECamp0s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAlhandra, Portugal

hi everyone, i caught this ant queen 1 month ago(end of june) and she started to lays some eggs, i´m trying to find out what species it is.
i caught on a wall close to my house, she is all black and have a long gaster, the eggs look to me a bit orange like color. the location of my catch is in Portugal ( Alhandra).

aprox size: 8mm/ 9mm. 

Attached Images

• 20240807_095711.jpg
  • 20240807_095647.jpg
  • 20240807_095703.jpg

Edited by ECamp0s, August 7 2024 - 1:34 AM.

New Ant-Keeper
current colonies:

Lasius Niger (03/24) 

Messor barbarus (08/24) x2

Camponotus Piceus (First worker 09/24)

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 7 2024 - 3:12 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Based on what you've described on size, I believe that it could be C. piceus or Camponotus piceus. If I'm correct, this species is slightly small (around the 8 - 9mm range) and tend to fly within the May to July range.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline ECamp0s - Posted August 8 2024 - 12:34 PM

ECamp0s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

close to my house i have a small stream of water, and have some tall grass creates a swamp enviroment, i saw some messor barbarus species around and what  look to me some fire ants. and the nuptial flight for my region in this period is large. thanks for the mention i will check it out and post the news 

• Artisan_Ants likes this

New Ant-Keeper
current colonies:

Lasius Niger (03/24) 

#4 Offline ECamp0s - Posted September 10 2024 - 1:07 PM

ECamp0s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Want to give a heads up. My queen just hatched the first worker,

By the look of it, it makes de C. Piceus a pretty solid ID for them. thanks for the help.

Attached Images

• first worker.jpg

Edited by ECamp0s, September 10 2024 - 1:12 PM.

• cooIboyJ likes this

New Ant-Keeper
current colonies:

Lasius Niger (03/24) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users