• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole megacephala really is in California

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kalimant - Posted September 9 2024 - 9:02 AM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Looks like what's his name may have been correct? I didn't read his posts or look at the timeline, but there was a 100+ ha infestation in San Diego after the 2014 one, which was much smaller.

That large an area (about 1 sq km) means they pushed away all the Linepithema humile ants outside of it.

https://escholarship...c/item/2b1813r9

The big-headed ant, Pheidole megacephala, is an ecologically destructive invader of tropical and subtropical environments worldwide. In April 2014, an established infestation of P. megacephala was discovered in a residential neighborhood in Costa Mesa, Orange County, and a second infestation was found in a residential neighborhood in San Diego, San Diego County, in 2019. Although big-headed ants are regularly detected in commerce in California, the records from Costa Mesa and San Diego represent the first established infestations known from the state. To learn more about the distribution of P. megacephala in California and to assess its potential for further spread, we delineated both known infestations and compared this species to another widespread invader, the Argentine ant (Linepithema humile), with respect to desiccation tolerance and resource assimilation (δ15N). Both known P. megacephala infestations extend over multiple hectares of suburban development, with the San Diego infestation exceeding 100 ha and the Costa Mesa infestation exceeding 10 ha. Both infestations are spatially continuous and encompassed by established populations of the Argentine ant. The big-headed ant overlapped broadly with the Argentine ant both in terms of desiccation tolerance and δ15N values. These similarities suggest that the big-headed ant could continue to spread in urban environments in coastal southern California and cause impacts comparable to those resulting from invasion by the Argentine ant.

Edited by kalimant, September 9 2024 - 9:03 AM.

• eea likes this

I currently maintain a site dedicated to the hyper-diverse myrmicine genus Pheidole.:

PHEIDOLE

I also own the Lurker's Guide to Leafcutters Ants

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 9 2024 - 9:22 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Terrifying...

• eea likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 9 2024 - 11:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,762 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Vendayn’s vindication.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 9 2024 - 2:19 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Not a shock, I figured once I found them in Costa Mesa, they would turn up in other places. It sucks though not to be able to read the entire thing.

Edited by gcsnelling, September 9 2024 - 2:21 PM.

#5 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 9 2024 - 2:25 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

they have been here since 2010 or so, noticed them around 2013-ish.  

all over anaheim because everyone uses rock gardens there

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 9 2024 - 4:46 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Considering  the extent of the CM population that time line makes sense.

• mbullock42086 likes this

#7 Offline kalimant - Posted September 9 2024 - 4:57 PM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Not a shock, I figured once I found them in Costa Mesa, they would turn up in other places. It sucks though not to be able to read the entire thing.

Based on this recent pdf, it looks like California considers them established, and that eradication is now not possible.

https://blogs.cdfa.c...megacephala.pdf

Pheidole megacephala is an ant that appears to have potential for economic and environmental impacts in California. It is established in two counties and eradication does not appear feasible. For these reasons, a “B” rating is justified. 

I have a feeling it'll like the environment there...not so heavy rain plus lots of irrigated water. Low humidity and temp will hinder it beyond the suburbs and urban areas though. 

Edited by kalimant, September 9 2024 - 5:00 PM.

I currently maintain a site dedicated to the hyper-diverse myrmicine genus Pheidole.:

PHEIDOLE

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 9 2024 - 5:11 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

That's how I read it as well.

#9 Offline ReignofRage - Posted September 9 2024 - 6:25 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationCalif.

It doesn't exactly read that they "pushed away all the Linepithema humile ants outside of it," considering they state that the infestation zones are "... spatially continuous and encompassed by established populations of the Argentine ant." I'm just wondering when they'll figure out they they've been in Los Angeles for a while now. 

• gcsnelling likes this

#10 Offline kalimant - Posted September 10 2024 - 2:06 AM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

It doesn't exactly read that they "pushed away all the Linepithema humile ants outside of it," considering they state that the infestation zones are "... spatially continuous and encompassed by established populations of the Argentine ant." I'm just wondering when they'll figure out they they've been in Los Angeles for a while now. 

I take "continuous" to mean that the P. megacephala samples are clustered as a single, non-disjunct group, and that this cluster is surrounded (or "encompassed") by L. humile ants. This would be par for the course for all the large P. megacephala clusters that I've seen, where they tend to exclude aggressive strong mass recruiting competitors from their core territory.

Also, so you've seen P. megacephala in LA?

Edited by kalimant, September 10 2024 - 2:08 AM.

PHEIDOLE

#11 Offline RedFox - Posted September 10 2024 - 4:29 AM

RedFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Dang I have a colony of P. megacephala here in Michigan, I have them in a natural setup. I didn't know they were this invasive, they were a gift. I've had them for 3 months and they have exploded in numbers. I do have them well contained.

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 10 2024 - 2:52 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I'm just wondering when they'll figure out they they've been in Los Angeles for a while now. 

Don't hold your breath.

• ReignofRage likes this

#13 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 10 2024 - 3:27 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

it would actually be really cool if megacephala ended up wiping out the argentine ants in socal and did little damage ecologically lol

• eea likes this

#14 Offline eea - Posted September 10 2024 - 3:40 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

it would actually be really cool if megacephala ended up wiping out the argentine ants in socal and did little damage ecologically lol

I hope so too, they look way more interesting than Argentine ants.

• mbullock42086 likes this

#15 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 10 2024 - 3:57 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I hope so too, they look way more interesting than Argentine ants.

and they're not likely to destroy an entire room of specimens as opposed to argentine ants.  when megacephala invaded my home it was a little cute foraging trail and they just wanted a piece of granola lol. only did it once, and they never came back. i freaked out at first because they gave me pharaoh ant and S molesta flashbacks but saw a a major and felt relief.

• eea likes this

#16 Offline ReignofRage - Posted September 11 2024 - 3:51 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I take "continuous" to mean that the P. megacephala samples are clustered as a single, non-disjunct group, and that this cluster is surrounded (or "encompassed") by L. humile ants. This would be par for the course for all the large P. megacephala clusters that I've seen, where they tend to exclude aggressive strong mass recruiting competitors from their core territory.

I have observed both P. megacephala and P. fervens in the Los Angeles area - the latter seeming to be a non-issue species. From my observations, the populations of P. megacephala are mixed with Linepithema humile here in California.

• gcsnelling and eea like this

#17 Offline kalimant - Posted September 11 2024 - 7:15 PM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

I have observed both P. megacephala and P. fervens in the Los Angeles area - the latter seeming to be a non-issue species. From my observations, the populations of P. megacephala are mixed with Linepithema humile here in California.

Interesting on it being in LA and the state not knowing about it. Guess it def is established then.

And interesting about the fact they are mixed in with L. humile, which might indicate they are relatively new to the area, and still small in population size. Once the cluster reaches large sizes, the core of their territory usually is bereft of other aggressive mass recruiting ant species. 

Would be cool to track and record their expansion over time (or contraction/stable state). Is the climate and other abiotic factors friendly enough that they will out compete L. humile (as in the lowlands of Hawaii for example) and form large territories, or is the California environment more friendly to L. humile instead? I have a feeling it's the latter, but will be happy if that's wrong. 

• eea likes this

PHEIDOLE

#18 Offline ReignofRage - Posted September 11 2024 - 8:17 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I do think the weather is more in favor of L. humile; there is a case of the only known established population of Pheidole indica in California being extirpated over a single winter due to it being cooler and wetter than usual, which allowed L. humile to dominate. I do believe the populations of Pheidole fervens in California to be sparse and moving "frequently" due to the winter season allowing L. humile to prove dominant. There is plenty of long-established exotics in urbanized California that live side-by-side with L. humile, so it's somewhat disagreeable, in my experience, to say they will drive out other exotics if given time. Dr. Holway reached out to me about Pheidole megacephala recently, so I can ask him about his theories on it!

• bmb1bee likes this

#19 Offline kalimant - Posted September 12 2024 - 2:26 AM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

I do think the weather is more in favor of L. humile; there is a case of the only known established population of Pheidole indica in California being extirpated over a single winter due to it being cooler and wetter than usual, which allowed L. humile to dominate. I do believe the populations of Pheidole fervens in California to be sparse and moving "frequently" due to the winter season allowing L. humile to prove dominant. There is plenty of long-established exotics in urbanized California that live side-by-side with L. humile, so it's somewhat disagreeable, in my experience, to say they will drive out other exotics if given time. Dr. Holway reached out to me about Pheidole megacephala recently, so I can ask him about his theories on it!

Cooler and wetter environments will definitely not be good towards P. megacephala. Here in FL, I am seeing contraction of a nearby cluster due to the very wet recent weather, where RIFA has reclaimed areas taken by them after continuous rainy days. Does not help that the water table here is so high and we get flooding. In general, the literature also backs up the claim that rainy season pushes back P. megacephala.

Pheidole is also generally a warm weather group, so no surprises about P. fervens and P. indica not doing as well there if it cools. 

PHEIDOLE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users