• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmecophytes, realistically

myrmecophytes ant plants plant symbiosis

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Stubyvast - Posted September 9 2024 - 5:55 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hey everyone! 

I was recently doing a biology 11 class, and it occurred to me that I haven't heard of anyone actively raising ants in ant-plants, or myrmecophytes. These plants are specialized to feed and provide food for ants, in return for a variety of benefits, such as reproduction, defence, and even, in some cases, food. 

So I was wondering, has this ever been done in a contained environment, and have any of you ever done this? Is this realistically plausible? Let me know your thoughts!

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#2 Offline Leo - Posted September 9 2024 - 6:26 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I have a Hydnophytum moseleyanum I'm growing at home that is inhabited by a colony of Tetramorium. I've also been looking to purchase a few ant ferns but haven't gotten around to doing so.

I believe the more specialized Myrmecophytes may require specific host species (e.g. Cecropia), but it is likely that most myrmecophytic plants can be raised in captivity with or without their host colonies.

Edited by Leo, September 9 2024 - 8:49 PM.

• eea likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecophytes, ant plants, plant, symbiosis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users