• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

water supply in the outworld

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Online mete - Posted September 6 2024 - 10:19 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

I have the water feeder (not sure if it is called that) below (photo from antshop.ch), it has a synthetic sponge at bottom. It is OKish but requires being careful to not push the cylinder too much inside to not block the water, so everytime I refill it I am worried if it is working fine. I thought maybe a test tube with just water and closed with cotton would work and I am trying this now. However, it seems ants prefer the water feeder not the test tube. They also try to pull out the cotton threads in the test tube. So my question, is there a best way to supply water to the ants in the outworld ?

Tränke klar 20ml - Schwamm-draw.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 6 2024 - 10:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The byFormica liquid feeders are the best way.
  • mete likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted September 6 2024 - 12:31 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

The byformica feeders work really well.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#4 Online AntsGodzilla - Posted September 6 2024 - 2:08 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

byformica, and THA feeders work well, but my ants prefer feeders in the nest, like THA nestmates

I keep:

(angry) Pogonomyrmex Rugosus,
(stubborn) Myrmecocystus Deplisis
Tetramorium Immigrans
Monomorium Minimum

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap)

Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant)

Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant

Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

#5 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted September 6 2024 - 2:59 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

I also use both byformica water dispensers as well as TarHeelAnts nestmates and small water dispensers.

On Byformica, they have two designs and for me one of them is bad i would steer clear of it.

I like this one:

yesgood.jpg

I do not like this one:

nobad.jpg

For whatever reason the good one is used well most of the time(unless i put it too close to their nest entrance).

But the other (newer) design my ants will always drain it out within a couple hours. Using sand/dirt/trash/whatever to channel the water out to the ground around it. I've stopped using them, but the original one i still use and find is better for sugarwater/sunburst than the screen mesh THA options.

These THA ones work great for water, but tend to gunk up if used for sugar water/sunburst.

https://tarheelants....id-feeder-small

thamini.jpg

and i like using the nestmates as water dispensers in the outworld. Just be sure they have at least a little bit of slope from screen to cork so the air moves to the top.

https://tarheelants....nestmate-2-pack

myoutworld.jpg

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, September 6 2024 - 3:00 PM.

• ANTdrew, Mushu and AntsGodzilla like this

#6 Offline Stubyvast - Posted September 6 2024 - 3:07 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

hmm makes me wonder what a modified liquid ant-trap would do if I wanted to replace the poison with, say, sugar-water? How effective would this be?

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#7 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted September 6 2024 - 3:17 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

hmm makes me wonder what a modified liquid ant-trap would do if I wanted to replace the poison with, say, sugar-water? How effective would this be?

If the trap works well then it will probably be good.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#8 Online AntsGodzilla - Posted September 6 2024 - 3:53 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

what makes the traps so effective are the chemicals, and it might be hard to completely get rid all of them, and some ants still could get trapped since it's open. Plus it's the same price as proven feeders like THA and byformica.

Edited by AntsGodzilla, September 7 2024 - 7:19 AM.

• rptraut and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

I keep:

(angry) Pogonomyrmex Rugosus,
(stubborn) Myrmecocystus Deplisis
Tetramorium Immigrans
Monomorium Minimum

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap)

Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant)

Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant

Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

#9 Offline Mushu - Posted September 6 2024 - 8:30 PM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

I also use both byformica water dispensers as well as TarHeelAnts nestmates and small water dispensers.

On Byformica, they have two designs and for me one of them is bad i would steer clear of it.
I like this one:
attachicon.gifyesgood.jpg

I do not like this one:
attachicon.gifnobad.jpg

For whatever reason the good one is used well most of the time(unless i put it too close to their nest entrance).
But the other (newer) design my ants will always drain it out within a couple hours. Using sand/dirt/trash/whatever to channel the water out to the ground around it. I've stopped using them, but the original one i still use and find is better for sugarwater/sunburst than the screen mesh THA options.

These THA ones work great for water, but tend to gunk up if used for sugar water/sunburst.
https://tarheelants....id-feeder-small
attachicon.gifthamini.jpg

and i like using the nestmates as water dispensers in the outworld. Just be sure they have at least a little bit of slope from screen to cork so the air moves to the top.
https://tarheelants....nestmate-2-pack
attachicon.gifmyoutworld.jpg

I think for the new design it’s the larger water hole. I use an off brand liquid feeder and they have larger holes and my colony tries to stuff them. Luckily I use it for water. Didn’t have an issue when using the Byformica.

The top one you linked is the micro. They also have the mini which is slightly larger.

Edited by Mushu, September 11 2024 - 8:44 AM.

#10 Online mete - Posted September 7 2024 - 7:22 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Thanks for all the feedback, then I will try one or both of these.

• cooIboyJ likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users