• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Asian Scorpion

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline StayLoki - Posted August 4 2024 - 10:40 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I recently got a baby Asian Forest Scorpion and I just love the little guy.
I was wondering if any other members had one, or any advice to offer.

I'd love to post pictures but I'm not sure with the site format.
It's not about that, I can search posting pics but when I put Asian Scorpion I didn't get anything 😤

I bought some fire orange isopods and I'm most concerned if the population could blow up to hurt him? Or if he's just eating them, since I haven't seen them much since their introduction..

Love you guys on Formiculture,
And I'm most excited for *member* Venom's *member* wedding!! Congratulations 🎊

Edited by StayLoki, August 8 2024 - 7:23 AM.

• RushmoreAnts likes this

#2 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 5 2024 - 6:47 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

To post a picture, click "More Reply Options" and at the bottom it'll say Upload File. Upload your picture from your files and attach it to the post, and you're set! You can also click and drag from a third party site like Imgur. I'd love to see him, I don't know much about scorpions but I'd love to learn!

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#3 Offline Locness - Posted August 5 2024 - 8:21 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Kept mine on deep coco fiber and provided hiding huts. Opted for a heat cable instead of the common heat lamp since it dried up the substrate too quickly and diminished humidity. My problem is I lost the damn thing in the garage. It's been several months, can't seem to find it.
  • StayLoki likes this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2024 - 2:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Kept mine on deep coco fiber and provided hiding huts. Opted for a heat cable instead of the common heat lamp since it dried up the substrate too quickly and diminished humidity. My problem is I lost the damn thing in the garage. It's been several months, can't seem to find it.

Lost the scorpion?
  • StayLoki and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline StayLoki - Posted August 7 2024 - 7:26 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Lost the scorpion?

The day I brought him home I was soooo jumpy when the lights went out!! I would double check the cage clips flick the lights on and he'd be looking AT ME!!!!! LOLOLOL
I was afraid the cat would knock him over, or sit on the lid and shed all over his world like mine. .

#6 Offline StayLoki - Posted August 7 2024 - 7:31 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Thanks for the advice, I going to a get a stick on heater instead of lights and stuff :) the 'breeder' said to put it on the side but I realise now it's probably for humidity and I don't want to cook the guy from the bottom...makes since!! I'm trying to learn.

I'd put an ant queen in with him,
but I don't want her to eat him alive :X

#7 Offline StayLoki - Posted August 8 2024 - 3:33 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Aahhaa! I figured it out; I had to go to desktop mode to see more reply and add photos-thanks Antsdakota!

....Introducinggggg, VENOM!!
It's his 'smile' that inspired the name, lol

The picture in the middle is before he was added and I was moving things around. Obviously I added the micro reptihut since, to keep the rock from crushing him if it slipped!!! I just want to add the dragon is 3d printed with safe material, I bought it at a show supporting one the vendors who does it on the side for extra money. It's really just for me to have something to see in there when he's hiding. I don't expect him to interact with it, and I expect him to hate it. He never goes on the rock anyway. I've never seen him check it out..
Anyway, the tank is just a 5gal that my betta used to be in before I upgraded his digs.
The plants and things are left over from hermit crabs I used have..I saved the dishes and things but I don't really need them for this little guy.
Just wanted to share ;)

Attached Images

• 20240709_130431.jpg
  • 20240706_140415.jpg
  • 20240709_142824.jpg

Edited by StayLoki, August 8 2024 - 3:35 AM.

• Full_Frontal_Yeti likes this

#8 Offline StayLoki - Posted August 8 2024 - 3:45 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Oops, all these are before the hut was added...two more:

Attached Images

• 20240803_175440.jpg
  • 20240718_062242.jpg

#9 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted August 9 2024 - 1:55 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Look at that [censored]  with the "Come at me Bro" pose.

post-2919-0-25171200-1723115873.jpg

I'm always curious about what the "total setup" for critters looks like. Would you, if you don't mind, post an image that captures the full habitat, for context of the close ups?

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, August 9 2024 - 1:56 PM.

#10 Offline StayLoki - Posted August 14 2024 - 6:56 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Look at that [censored] with the "Come at me Bro" pose.
post-2919-0-25171200-1723115873.jpg

I'm always curious about what the "total setup" for critters looks like. Would you, if you don't mind, post an image that captures the full habitat, for context of the close ups?

@Yeti,
It's the second one down but here's his not-yet-vivarium, lol

Again he's only the size of a quarter, when I put him in the mulch I pretty much lost him too. I'm lucky he has such personality, or I would never see him. I honestly had no concept of them being smart, but after getting a glimpse into their world...no wonder they've survived since the jurassic!!!

There's a thin layer of reptidirt that's not really visible, especially all dirt under the rock that I thought he would enjoy but atlas, he's all about that peice of drift wood, and has made his den under it. I was excited to show you guys a never before seen den shot, but he's hungry and sitting under the rock! I have to get some pinheads for him and I'll update later I guess..

As I mentioned before, I had been wanting a scorpion for a while, I didn't just throw this together and add a critter. A lot of thought went into scorpion care.
I reused a 5gal when I decided to upgrade my betta fish and had already sourced and sterilized the driftwood and rocks. I reused unopened 'edible leafs' from my hermit crab days, mostly for the fire orange isopods I added, which my original post was about...but I think Venom ate them all. I never see them, they were so colorful and cute lol

Attached Images

• 20240814_102709.jpg
  • 20240814_102718.jpg

#11 Offline StayLoki - Posted August 14 2024 - 7:10 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

In hindsight I wish I gave him more dirt layer for molting, and my next project for the little guy is a spagnum moss hut of sorts for humidity and hiding and deeper cocofiber layer. It's just going to involve containing him and a remodel and I'm being strategic about it. I've seen how fast he can move lol

Edited by StayLoki, August 14 2024 - 7:11 AM.

#12 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 14 2024 - 7:51 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

if you provide a nice deep water dish the scorpion can enter and fully immerse itself into, it will be significantly happier.  many people buy heterometrus sp forest scorpions and don't realize they have specific habitat requirements by species.

all of them appreciate a nice big deep dish to soak in, these are mostly semiaquatic scorpions and need more than humdity, they need to soak their book lungs which is why they spend so much time soaking.  many people freak out and think they're sick or dying but they just love a good soak.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#13 Offline StayLoki - Posted August 20 2024 - 3:25 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
So this what I meant by 'den shot' I was worried about him a few weeks ago and lifted the tank up and discovered his home base. I moved his tank to my coffee table and these photos are from the bottom, thru the glass.

I see the book lungs you're referring to!
I'm taking the photos mostly to determine male or female in the future although I've been told it's way too early to tell, but I hope someone is as fascinated with a glimpse we would never see as I am.

Attached Images

• 20240820_071646.jpg
  • 20240820_071637.jpg

Edited by StayLoki, August 20 2024 - 3:28 AM.

• Full_Frontal_Yeti likes this

#14 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted September 3 2024 - 2:45 AM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan
Do you know the species of Heterometrus you have?

Edited by michiganantsinmyyard, September 3 2024 - 2:45 AM.

#15 Offline StayLoki - Posted September 4 2024 - 8:26 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Yeah? spinifer
I established that? Should I have posted in identification format?

Really appreciate all the advice though,
Thanks everyone

#16 Offline StayLoki - Posted September 4 2024 - 8:33 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I'm going to try to make a moss hut but attach it on the side of the glass for enrichment for him and photo opts. I'll let you know what I come up with, or if he ends up in my garage ;)

#17 Offline StayLoki - Posted September 4 2024 - 8:34 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
jk jk I joke I kid

Edited by StayLoki, September 4 2024 - 8:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users