• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Myrmica Rubra queen laid only one egg.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Someone - Posted August 4 2024 - 12:26 PM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I have recently caught 2 M. Rubra queens and put them into 1 test tube set up.
Today while giving them some honey I found 1 of the queens sitting next to 1 egg. I found it a little bit weird, but I think it's already a good sign. Hopefully they both lay more.

I was just a little worried that there were more eggs, but the second queen could eat them.

Attached Images

• 20240804_221254.jpg

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted August 4 2024 - 12:39 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationGermany

Did you give them some fruit fly or another small arthropod? Myrmica rubra queens need food during their founding stage (not just sugars, they need protein).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Someone - Posted August 4 2024 - 11:35 PM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Did you give them some fruit fly or another small arthropod? Myrmica rubra queens need food during their founding stage (not just sugars, they need protein).

I gave them a mosquito and they ate the body. But I need to give them a bit more

#4 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 5 2024 - 6:43 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I'd recommend going to your local pet store and buying some fruit flies. Wild-caught insects could quite possibly have pesticides. Around my area we had some of the worst flooding in a century, which created an unholy amount of still water, which bred an unholy amount of mosquitoes. I couldn't get hosts for my parasitic Formica queen because around grass and trees the mosquitoes were awful, like dozens coming at you at once, literally. Mosquito repellent did not help. I can assure you the city dumped unholy amounts of pesticides on our mosquito population, and many home and property owners also spray their properties as well. It's just safest to buy from a pet store.

Edited by AntsDakota, August 5 2024 - 6:43 PM.

• rptraut and Someone like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#5 Offline Someone - Posted August 6 2024 - 5:24 AM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I'd recommend going to your local pet store and buying some fruit flies. Wild-caught insects could quite possibly have pesticides. Around my area we had some of the worst flooding in a century, which created an unholy amount of still water, which bred an unholy amount of mosquitoes. I couldn't get hosts for my parasitic Formica queen because around grass and trees the mosquitoes were awful, like dozens coming at you at once, literally. Mosquito repellent did not help. I can assure you the city dumped unholy amounts of pesticides on our mosquito population, and many home and property owners also spray their properties as well. It's just safest to buy from a pet store.

Thank you. Yeah, I need to buy a reliable protein source for them

#6 Offline Stubyvast - Posted August 7 2024 - 10:37 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yes, ants definitely love fruit flies, my Lasius niger go crazy for them! Plus, they're easy for ants to carry back to the nest. I find that for my Myrmica rubra, I cut up a mealworm and give the queens a half, and they'll burrow into the inside of it, sort of "mining" into it. This way they have a consistent supply of protein for a couple of days, that's still fresh. 

Edited by Stubyvast, August 7 2024 - 10:38 AM.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#7 Offline Stubyvast - Posted August 7 2024 - 10:41 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Today while giving them some honey I found 1 of the queens sitting next to 1 egg. I found it a little bit weird, but I think it's already a good sign. Hopefully they both lay more.

I was just a little worried that there were more eggs, but the second queen could eat them.

It's possible that your queen intends to "overwinter" with her eggs, which apparently myrmica rubra can do. This means that the eggs will not hatch until the next season, given that they survive. If you want, you can also boost the queen with workers from her mother's nest, as in the wild, the daughter queens will overwinter in their mother's nest, and seek out their own home next season to start their own colony. 

I've tried this, it takes a couple days for the workers to become friendly towards the queen if they are not introduced right after the queen is placed into her test-tube. I think this is because, if the queen is left inside her test-tube for a while, she creates a "nest smell" which workers will recognize as an enemy's smell. However, if workers are introduced into a fresh test-tube which the queen has just been given, they will acclimate almost instantly. 

• Someone likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#8 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 7 2024 - 12:29 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It's possible that your queen intends to "overwinter" with her eggs, which apparently myrmica rubra can do. This means that the eggs will not hatch until the next season, given that they survive. If you want, you can also boost the queen with workers from her mother's nest, as in the wild, the daughter queens will overwinter in their mother's nest, and seek out their own home next season to start their own colony. 

I've tried this, it takes a couple days for the workers to become friendly towards the queen if they are not introduced right after the queen is placed into her test-tube. I think this is because, if the queen is left inside her test-tube for a while, she creates a "nest smell" which workers will recognize as an enemy's smell. However, if workers are introduced into a fresh test-tube which the queen has just been given, they will acclimate almost instantly. 

Usually overwintering occurs with larvae. The eggs hatch since they're not well-suited for cold temperatures. Larvae, being more mature and self-sustaining, can handle hibernation more easily. Pupae are as helpless as eggs, leaving larvae as the ideal stage of development for brood hibernation. Whenever I've had colonies that overwinter brood it's always been larvae. They eclose all of their pupae before hibernation, and all of the eggs hatch.

• Someone likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#9 Offline Someone - Posted August 9 2024 - 1:47 AM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I saw a couple more eggs that the same queen guarded. The second queen most often just sits next to the first one. Yesterday I also found another M. Rubra queen and decided to put her with these two. There was no aggression from queens, they didn't fight. However for now first 2 queens sit together in 1 end of the test tube near the exite and the third sits in the opposite near the water

#10 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted August 14 2024 - 10:58 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Myrmica Rubra is polygnous, you have a good chance that the queens will accept a random worker from the wild. I did it with mine and even though they showed aggression at beginning, they soon joined. 

Preferebly, you should use workers caught from the area where you caught the queens. 

#11 Offline Someone - Posted August 27 2024 - 9:17 AM

Someone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Thank you. I might try adding workers if I go to that area again. I didn't see eggs for some time after this post, but now I see some more, now in a pile. So hopefully they can raise these

• Artisan_Ants likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users