• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica ID? Just workers

id formica help antid

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Stubyvast - Posted August 26 2024 - 5:50 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hello all!

I've been very curious about this species of ant in my backyard, which I am positive is formica. However, although I discussed this with one myrmecologist on inaturalist, I am unsure which species specifically. Apparently it's also a nightmare trying to identify formica, so give it your best guess. I'm guessing formica pacifica. If you're wondering about my location, just check my profile (I also posted these pics on the ant photography thread, sorry for the redundancy). Thanks!

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

Clearly, this species farms aphids or mealybugs.

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

Hopefully you guys can figure this out! Thanks for your help!

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 27 2024 - 11:53 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I believe you are right indeed. This is F. pacifica which is on the fusca group like you mentioned. Notice how the scape of this worker is longer and thinner unlike bulky and larger F. aerata’s scape (it’s scape’s angle make it’s head look bigger unlike F. pacifica). I also believe F. aerata is less abundant than F. pacifica and occurs at fairly high elevation at times.
  • Stubyvast likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id, formica, help, antid

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users