• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What business should I buy from?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4ever7 - Posted August 28 2024 - 9:38 AM

Ants4ever7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Hello all. I live in Arizona in the U.S. and I wanted to know what I should buy from. I have been buying from Ants Canada but I looked on a science place and their test tube prices and I could get 10! glass tubes for every 1 AC tube. I just wanted to know what you recommend and what places have good prices. I have two queens 'bout to get their nanitics by the way.

Edited by Ants4ever7, August 28 2024 - 9:39 AM.

#2 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 28 2024 - 9:40 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
You can always look on Amazon and go to the dollar store or Home Depot, Lowe’s or hobby lobby for supplies.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#3 Offline OiledOlives - Posted August 28 2024 - 9:42 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I highly recommend purchasing test tubes from kartersci; I have been buying from them for years and they are the only site I purchase tubes from now.

https://www.kartersc...Tubes_s/129.htm

• UtahAnts and eea like this

#4 Offline Ants4ever7 - Posted August 28 2024 - 10:23 AM

Ants4ever7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

If I wanted to buy formicariums later what would you recommend. Ants Canada, THA, Arthropod Antics, Ant Gear.

#5 Offline rptraut - Posted August 28 2024 - 10:42 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello Ants4ever7;

I buy my test tubes at a surplus store that has an extensive section of chemistry supplies.   They sell test tubes of various sizes, rubber stoppers, tweezers, etc.

If possible, consider making your own formicaria, it's not that hard if you have some basic tools.   You can design exactly what you want for the ants you're keeping and have fun doing it.   

RPT

• bmb1bee likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#6 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 28 2024 - 1:23 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

If I wanted to buy formicariums later what would you recommend. Ants Canada, THA, Arthropod Antics, Ant Gear.

THA has some great products, though sometimes they are costly and take a while to make. Sometimes, members of the forum (like me) take commissions to create a formicarium for you for a fair price.

• ANTdrew likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#7 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted August 28 2024 - 2:33 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hello all. I live in Arizona in the U.S. and I wanted to know what I should buy from. I have been buying from Ants Canada but I looked on a science place and their test tube prices and I could get 10! glass tubes for every 1 AC tube. I just wanted to know what you recommend and what places have good prices. I have two queens 'bout to get their nanitics by the way.

Hey, Tar heels ants is always good and I've taken a liking to Antopia Usa

I keep:

(angry) Pogonomyrmex Rugosus,
(stubborn) Myrmecocystus Deplisis
Tetramorium Immigrans
Monomorium Minimum

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap)

Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant)

Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant

Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

#8 Offline Ants4ever7 - Posted August 28 2024 - 6:36 PM

Ants4ever7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMesa, Arizona

Thanks all for suggestions.

• rptraut likes this

#9 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 29 2024 - 6:41 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Por Amor Art also makes some good products. I wouldn't recommend AntsCanada unless you coat the nests in grout, as they are plastic and artificial, which most ants do not prefer. Less picky ants like Tetramorium will tolerate it, though more picky species will most certainly not do well in them unless more natural textures are added. They're way too overpriced for being cheap plastic, the outworlds are worse. Also note that the Hybrid Nests are WAY too big for your colony unless it has several thousand workers, which most species take years to achieve. TarHeelAnts nests come standard with those natural textures, that's a better bang for your buck.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and cooIboyJ like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted August 29 2024 - 7:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I second Por Amor Art, I have had really good success with their culture tubes, which are very affordable, customizable, expandable, and allow for easy viewing.

• ANTdrew, RushmoreAnts and cooIboyJ like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide!

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users