• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica Sanguinea/Rufa group? Found in Southeastern Michigan, 8/21/2024

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted August 21 2024 - 8:28 AM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

Found about 5-6 of these guys under a rock in my backyard. First Formica i've ever seen in my backyard, and they seem to be either a slavemaking or moundmaking species, which is quite strange.

Approximately 6-8mm in length.

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 21 2024 - 12:28 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
We need a picture of the head to determine from both groups. For sanguinea, there should be a “median concave impression on the anterior border of the clypeus (Fisher and Cover, 2007) which I saw on the head picture of castes within this group. I’m not fully sure if this is the right thing, but I’m confident that it might be the correct thing as there is a somewhat semicircle in the middle of the head above the clypeus (the median refers to the center where there can be a symmetrical divide, in this case of the head) and should be found on workers such as this one. Even if it isn’t perfect, there should still be a sign of it. As of rufa group, I’m not particularly sure as according to (Fisher and Cover, 2007) “there is no real distinguishing feature for this species group, apart from their ecological habitats of building thatch mounds and being temporary social parasites, features shared with a few other Formica species groups.”

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline OiledOlives - Posted August 22 2024 - 5:01 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Formica sanguinea-group

Photos of the setae on the gula, occipital corners, and pronotum will allow for species identification.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users