• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

When do Ponera fly?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 24 2024 - 8:21 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
During the day, I find so many dead ponera queens everywhere, and I do not know at what time of day they fly because I want to collect some queens and I am aware that they fly until October . Please give me some info on what time of day they fly and where to find them

(I am in Quebec and I know what species they are)

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#2 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted August 24 2024 - 1:34 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

The only species of ponera I could find that has nuptial flight this time of the year is P. coarctata. I couldn't find a specific time of day they fly, but they should have flights in september too, so keep looking! Also, is it getting cold there in Quebec? It could be that the ants have nuptial flight in the evening and then die from the cold during the night. 

And if you do catch one, I found a previous topic about raising Ponera in Formiculture: https://www.formicul...a-colony-going/

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 24 2024 - 2:30 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

During the day, I find so many dead ponera queens everywhere, and I do not know at what time of day they fly because I want to collect some queens and I am aware that they fly until October . Please give me some info on what time of day they fly and where to find them

I would recommend trying a black light. It's possible they fly at night, so setting up a light to catch some queens would be a good idea.

• Artisan_Ants and cooIboyJ like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#4 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 24 2024 - 4:02 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I would recommend trying a black light. It's possible they fly at night, so setting up a light to catch some queens would be a good idea.

yeah I have tried that, It worked a bit (lol) I can't get my hands on a better light, but The species is Ponera pennsylvanicus 

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 24 2024 - 4:32 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Approaching October, this species will be all over the place in certain areas, (like in mine). Sure you are up for the challenge? Heard that this species is insanely hard to found as they specifically need spring tails to eat (since they are obviously semi claustral) but if you can get them or have them then it shouldn’t be a problem. The main problem would be the housing though as test tubes aren’t ideal for this species (probably better success rate in natural setups where the queen digs her chamber). Good luck on finding them though!

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#6 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 24 2024 - 4:48 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Approaching October, this species will be all over the place in certain areas, (like in mine). Sure you are up for the challenge? Heard that this species is insanely hard to found as they specifically need spring tails to eat (since they are obviously semi claustral) but if you can get them or have them then it shouldn’t be a problem. The main problem would be the housing though as test tubes aren’t ideal for this species (probably better success rate in natural setups where the queen digs her chamber). Good luck on finding them though!

I doubt they're insanely hard to found. If they're anything like Hypoponera, they can be sustained off of fruit flies and small pieces of mealworm if you can't get many springtails. Plaster petri dishes with a thin layer of soil on top would be very useful for founding.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and parasitic Lasius journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#7 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 24 2024 - 5:04 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

yeah I have tried that, It worked a bit (lol) I can't get my hands on a better light, but The species is Ponera pennsylvanicus 

you don't need anything fancy.  i use simple rayovac uv flashlights- they're right about exactly at 400nm, which is juuuuuust right for all insects, just about.

i combine both uv light and daylight bulbs and it attracts everything

Edited by mbullock42086, August 24 2024 - 5:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users