• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Imagine it, and I Will Create it

29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Stubyvast - Posted September 14 2024 - 11:35 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I’d say if someone can incorporate a way to replace dirty glass as seamless as possible would be a great addition to a formicarium.

Another awesome thing would be to somehow have a permanent anti-water stick film on the glass that prevents water from sticking to it, so that it doesn't leave little stains on the glass when evaporated. I have this problem with so many of my terrariums, they need constant cleaning, and makes it hard to photograph through it.

• eea and Mushu like this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 14 2024 - 5:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,770 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
We need force field laser technology here instead of glass.
  • Ants_Dakota, eea, Stubyvast and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 14 2024 - 5:56 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I think they were asking for windshield wipers

• ANTdrew and eea like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide!

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#24 Offline rptraut - Posted September 14 2024 - 9:32 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello Everyone;

Here are a few suggestions I can make that aren't quite as cool as lasers, but they'll help reduce or eliminate the amount of water molecules that attach to the glass or acrylic of your formicaria, causing fogging or condensation.    Bear in mind that none of these solutions will last forever on the glass or acrylic and may need to be reapplied when they are no longer effective.   

1.  Anti-fog solution for eyeglasses - When my wife worked for an optometrist, she bought me a spray bottle of solution that was made to reduce fogging of eyeglasses when you go from the freezing cold outdoors into a warm, humid house.    You simply spray it on, wipe until dry and you're done.   Although this product works well to repel water and reduce fogging, I don't think it'll last as long as some other solutions.   

2.  Heavy mineral oil - I use heavy mineral oil, wiped very thinly on the walls of a formicarium as a deterrent to keep ants from climbing the walls.  One of the side benefits of the oil is that water molecules don't stick well to it, so no condensation.

3.  Wood preservation treatment - A woodworking friend of mine makes a mixture of hot olive oil and beeswax that he uses as a treatment for cutting boards and other projects.   It's the consistency of a paste when cool that's rubbed into the wood: I think if it was applied thinly to glass or acrylic it would repel water molecules which don't stick well to wax or oil, wax won't run so it might last longer than oil alone.

4.  Shoe polish - I'm going to tell you a secret that many of my woodworking friends would give their eye teeth to know.   No one can figure out how I get a beautiful warm shine on my woodworking projects without it being too shiny and garish.   I use shoe polish, natural or clear if I don't want any colour, or coloured to fill small imperfections if I'm restoring old furniture and the like.    I think clear shoe polish, which is basically made of wax, wiped on glass or acrylic and polished when dry, would repel water molecules like any other wax and last about as long as it does on your shoes.

Lastly, I don't use formicaria that have a glass panel on the front held on by magnets, but I do have an idea that might allow you to easily replace the glass.   I know that magnets are very hard to pull apart, but very easy to slide apart.  If you had a second piece of glass treated with one of the methods above, could you not slide it into place while pushing the original piece of glass out of the way.   Then you could replace it with minimal ant escapes.   Perhaps the magnets aren't placed in a way that this would be possible, I don't know, it's just an idea.   I'd also do it first thing in the morning when ants are usually less active, and I'd have my pooter handy in case of the odd escape.   Cooling the ants in the refrigerator beforehand will also slow them down, making the entire process a little easier.

All these methods to reduce fogging and condensation depend on the water repellent properties of wax and/or oil.   Neither of these materials will last forever on glass or acrylic and may need to be reapplied when they become ineffective.    The reappearance of fogging and condensation will be your clues that the repellent needs to be reapplied.   Good Luck

RPT

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota, bmb1bee and 2 others like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#25 Offline Mushu - Posted September 15 2024 - 4:50 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

Hello Everyone;

Here are a few suggestions I can make that aren't quite as cool as lasers, but they'll help reduce or eliminate the amount of water molecules that attach to the glass or acrylic of your formicaria, causing fogging or condensation.    Bear in mind that none of these solutions will last forever on the glass or acrylic and may need to be reapplied when they are no longer effective.   

1.  Anti-fog solution for eyeglasses - When my wife worked for an optometrist, she bought me a spray bottle of solution that was made to reduce fogging of eyeglasses when you go from the freezing cold outdoors into a warm, humid house.    You simply spray it on, wipe until dry and you're done.   Although this product works well to repel water and reduce fogging, I don't think it'll last as long as some other solutions.   

2.  Heavy mineral oil - I use heavy mineral oil, wiped very thinly on the walls of a formicarium as a deterrent to keep ants from climbing the walls.  One of the side benefits of the oil is that water molecules don't stick well to it, so no condensation.

3.  Wood preservation treatment - A woodworking friend of mine makes a mixture of hot olive oil and beeswax that he uses as a treatment for cutting boards and other projects.   It's the consistency of a paste when cool that's rubbed into the wood: I think if it was applied thinly to glass or acrylic it would repel water molecules which don't stick well to wax or oil, wax won't run so it might last longer than oil alone.

4.  Shoe polish - I'm going to tell you a secret that many of my woodworking friends would give their eye teeth to know.   No one can figure out how I get a beautiful warm shine on my woodworking projects without it being too shiny and garish.   I use shoe polish, natural or clear if I don't want any colour, or coloured to fill small imperfections if I'm restoring old furniture and the like.    I think clear shoe polish, which is basically made of wax, wiped on glass or acrylic and polished when dry, would repel water molecules like any other wax and last about as long as it does on your shoes.

Lastly, I don't use formicaria that have a glass panel on the front held on by magnets, but I do have an idea that might allow you to easily replace the glass.   I know that magnets are very hard to pull apart, but very easy to slide apart.  If you had a second piece of glass treated with one of the methods above, could you not slide it into place while pushing the original piece of glass out of the way.   Then you could replace it with minimal ant escapes.   Perhaps the magnets aren't placed in a way that this would be possible, I don't know, it's just an idea.   I'd also do it first thing in the morning when ants are usually less active, and I'd have my pooter handy in case of the odd escape.   Cooling the ants in the refrigerator beforehand will also slow them down, making the entire process a little easier.

All these methods to reduce fogging and condensation depend on the water repellent properties of wax and/or oil.   Neither of these materials will last forever on glass or acrylic and may need to be reapplied when they become ineffective.    The reappearance of fogging and condensation will be your clues that the repellent needs to be reapplied.   Good Luck

RPT

I tried sliding the glass and replacing at the same time. There's probably a method that works as I've read I believe Bleepers doing it, but the way I have it attached to my outworld, it's just not practical and I failed miserably and crushed 3 workers before I just opened it and cleaned it the old fashion way. I can't imagine it'd be easier with a larger THA formicarium like the nucleus or pioneer. The glass would probably need to be in more than 1 piece instead of one large glass, but that would also ruin the aesthetic. I thought about a design with a plastic/3d printed frame, where it can insert 2 glass on top of another and you just pull out one and clean while the second one keeps them in, you then put the original back. 

Edited by Mushu, September 15 2024 - 4:51 AM.

#26 Offline Mushu - Posted September 15 2024 - 4:53 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

I think they were asking for windshield wipers

Not a bad idea. Me and my buddy actually thought of adding  a small magnetic scraper, like the ones you use for fish tanks, but that has a chance to traps sand/debris over time and scratch the glass. 

#27 Offline Stubyvast - Posted September 15 2024 - 8:18 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hello Everyone;

RPT

Great suggestions! I think most of these are pretty easy to implement with materials found around the house. Is Mineral oil clear? Because if so that would be the answer to my problems, assuming it's effectiveness isn't reduced by constant moisture.

• rptraut likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 15 2024 - 9:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,770 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Also add nano robots for nest cleanup.
  • eea likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#29 Offline eea - Posted September 15 2024 - 9:30 AM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Like soil creatures.

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 15 2024 - 10:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,770 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Like soil creatures.

But powered by AI.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users