• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern Ontario 17/08/2024

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline toe_biter606 - Posted August 17 2024 - 1:15 PM

toe_biter606

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCanada

Found in a suburban front yard in the Halton region on 17/08/2024. ~7mm, appears entirely black but petiole, legs (especially tarsi), and face are actually dark brown/reddish when viewed under bright light. Dorsal thorax and gaster with some sparse hair. Two small propodeal spines. Two petiole nodes. The last 3 antennal segments are clubbed. 

Sorry the photos aren't ideal, this ant had better things to do than pose for me.
Thank you!

IMG_0535.JPG

image.jpg

face.JPG

• Artisan_Ants and cooIboyJ like this

1.5 yo Camponotus novaeboracensis colony

Zophobas morio just for fun

Check out my bug photos: https://www.instagra...m/toe_biter606/

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted August 17 2024 - 2:54 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Crematogaster cerasi or lineolata

Edited by Ants_Dakota, August 17 2024 - 3:05 PM.

• Artisan_Ants and cooIboyJ like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide!

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

#3 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted August 17 2024 - 3:16 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
Those photos are actually really good.

Edited by cooIboyJ, August 17 2024 - 3:16 PM.

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#4 Offline toe_biter606 - Posted August 17 2024 - 4:27 PM

toe_biter606

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCanada

Crematogaster cerasi or lineolata

Okay thank you, I might try to get a better look at the distinguishing features without stressing the queen too much

Those photos are actually really good.

Edited by toe_biter606, August 17 2024 - 4:27 PM.

• eea and cooIboyJ like this

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 17 2024 - 4:42 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Most likely C. cerasi. I honestly don't know many distinguishing factors for both species (especially in the queens) but I do know the flight time for mainly C. cerasi, which up in the north is around this time (the flights up in the north of the same species that I have in my area happen earlier than when they happen here in PA I've noticed). 

• Ants_Dakota and cooIboyJ like this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#6 Offline toe_biter606 - Posted August 17 2024 - 5:16 PM

toe_biter606

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCanada

That makes sense, thanks!! This is a bit off topic but what does the queen do until diapause time? There's still at least a month and a half until it would seem reasonable to hibernate (it's still 25 degrees Celsius here), but C. cerasi wait until spring to lay eggs?

Edited by toe_biter606, August 17 2024 - 5:26 PM.

#7 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 17 2024 - 5:42 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

That makes sense, thanks!! This is a bit off topic but what does the queen do until diapause time? There's still at least a month and a half until it would seem reasonable to hibernate (it's still 25 degrees Celsius here), but C. cerasi wait until spring to lay eggs?

Yeah I used to have two colonies of C. cerasi (which I caught about a year ago in early November but sadly one has passed an another vanished ever since my vacation this year) which I hibernated late last year (since it was my first time) but I woke them in April of this year and they immediately started laying eggs the next day and raised workers in June I believe. She may start laying soon after collection (before hibernation) like what one of my queens did, but if this happens, the eggs (most likely being trophic) will be eaten by the queen upon hibernation (from my experience). 

• Ants_Dakota and toe_biter606 like this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 17 2024 - 6:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You’ll need a microscope to differentiate cerasi from lineolata. Lineolata have many erect hairs on the upper thorax, but cerasi have one or two erect hairs at each corner of the upper thorax.
  • RushmoreAnts, Ants_Dakota, Artisan_Ants and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline toe_biter606 - Posted August 17 2024 - 6:38 PM

toe_biter606

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCanada

You’ll need a microscope to differentiate cerasi from lineolata. Lineolata have many erect hairs on the upper thorax, but cerasi have one or two erect hairs at each corner of the upper thorax.

Is it worth stressing the queen to do that? Or is the care for each species similar enough I can just follow guides for C. cerasi (since there's not as much out there on C. lineolata)?

Edit: Oops, just read that the care differences are negligible on Canada Ant Colony's website

Edited by toe_biter606, August 17 2024 - 6:39 PM.

#10 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 17 2024 - 7:48 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

In addition to the differences in hair mentioned above, lineolata average smaller than cerasi, lineolata are polygynous while cerasi are monogynous, and lineolata workers are typically concolorous black or dark brown while cerasi is often slightly bicolored and reddish. It's worth noting, however, that the difference in hair that ANTdrew mentioned is only present in workers, not queens. Up north, cerasi is significantly more common than lineolata, though I would still check the hairs of the workers to be sure.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, August 18 2024 - 11:42 AM.

• ANTdrew, eea, toe_biter606 and 2 others like this

#11 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 18 2024 - 12:10 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

lineolata is arboreal, cerasi is terrestrial, you could probably use that to distinguish them, try offering her some kind of hardwood chunk- if she's stuck to it like a magnet that should be a good indicator.

if it refuses to burrow and stays by the top it's probably lineolata

#12 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 18 2024 - 12:37 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have found both species nesting in wood and both species nesting in the ground under logs, I don't think that behavior would be a reliable indicator.

• Ants_Dakota, toe_biter606 and Artisan_Ants like this

#13 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 21 2024 - 9:50 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

I have found both species nesting in wood and both species nesting in the ground under logs, I don't think that behavior would be a reliable indicator.

you misunderstood.  read my comment again.  I wasnt saying cerasi doesnt nest in wood, I'm saying lineolata is more likely to nest in an upright tree arboreally- particularly with the clinging to the top of the enclosure bit.

I've noted this with all arboreal ants they always cling below the lid until i give them wood.

#14 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 21 2024 - 11:57 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

you misunderstood.  read my comment again.  I wasnt saying cerasi doesnt nest in wood, I'm saying lineolata is more likely to nest in an upright tree arboreally- particularly with the clinging to the top of the enclosure bit.

I've noted this with all arboreal ants they always cling below the lid until i give them wood.

I have seen Camponotus reject wood all the time, and I see crematogasters nest in cracks between stones and rocks more than anything

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#15 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 21 2024 - 12:35 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I have seen Camponotus reject wood all the time, and I see crematogasters nest in cracks between stones and rocks more than anything
It really depends on the habitat they are found in. If found in suburban habitat, it is more likely they will nest in rocks or under rocks and bricks other than in wood and on trees. If found in forests on the other hand, it is more likely they will nest in wood as it is highly abundant a there are more places to hide than in a rock in the forest. Their decisions are not only affected about their habitat, but also from other things like humidity and temperature. For example, a rock is good at absorbing and maintaining heat, but not as good with humidity, whereas wood is good with humidity but not as good as with heat.

Keeping:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users