• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants blocking entrance/exit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted August 16 2024 - 1:24 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I have a founding stage carpenter ant colony with over 10+ workers and plenty of brood. I've recently given them an outworld, but I don't see them outside at all and they keep blocking the entrance with whatever materials they can find. 

Does this mean they're not ready for an outworld yet? How many workers should a colony have until an outworld is given?

#2 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 16 2024 - 2:06 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

ITs up to them they will go when ready.

• Mushu, Artisan_Ants, cooIboyJ and 1 other like this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted August 16 2024 - 8:51 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello IdioticMouse26;

I've gone through this type of thing with my Camponotus pennsylvanicus founding colonies before.   At this point they're very happy to stay in the test tube.   When I give them an outworld at this stage, it's a bare minimum, small cube where I can give them their food without fear of escapes.   I see you live in BC, are these colonies from queens caught this year?   I have two queens I caught in June.   They're in natural founding setups and I haven't seen any nanitics yet.   Usually, around here, a queen will produce six or seven nanitics the first year.   

IMG_7784.JPG

When the first nanitics arrive, I hook up a small outworld to the test tube.   They will often block off the open end of the test tube, sometimes I do it for them with a piece of dried moss.   Some people insert a piece of drinking straw between the cotton and the side of the test tube to restrict the opening.   It gives the ants a feeling of security and is perfectly normal.

At this stage my Camponotus nanitics don't do much foraging.   One, maybe two will come out for what I call a drive-by.   They cruise by the feeding tray to see what's new.   If nothing, they go back into the test tube and sometimes they don't come out for the rest of the day.   Usually, the commotion of feeding them is enough to trigger a drive-by.   They have storage capacity for quite a number of days in their stomachs, so if they don't get anything today, tomorrow will be fine.   Remember, slow growing..... 

My Camponotus ants overwinter with larvae.   That's basically all that remains to be done by the little colony before winter.   The queen will lay a batch of eggs.  Once they've turned into larvae, they're ready for diapause.   

IMG_7490.JPG

I've overwintered founding Camponotus colonies in the test tube and in small all-in-one founding formicaria.   Both worked equally well.

Good Luck

RPT

• Stubyvast and IdioticMouse26 like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#4 Offline mete - Posted August 17 2024 - 1:13 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland
I experience the same with ~20 workers Messor barbarus colony which just moved from the test tube to the nest. They took some seeds from the outworld before and meanwhile blocked the tube connecting outworld to the nest.

#5 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 17 2024 - 5:52 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I have a founding stage carpenter ant colony with over 10+ workers and plenty of brood. I've recently given them an outworld, but I don't see them outside at all and they keep blocking the entrance with whatever materials they can find. 

Does this mean they're not ready for an outworld yet? How many workers should a colony have until an outworld is given?

They know when they need to forage. There's also a strong possibility that they are foraging when you're not looking, and either have a small entrance you can't see or seal if off when they're not foraging. It's perfectly natural, the entrances we humans make for them are far too large and create too much airflow inside the nest for small colonies. They will customize their nest entrance to the size that's best for them. Small colonies in the wild are vulnerable, and they need to seal off and hide their nests to protect themselves from predators, and other ant colonies.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and IdioticMouse26 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#6 Offline mete - Posted August 18 2024 - 8:05 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

I also see at least one, sometimes up to 3 or so ants behind the sand-stone barrier. It looks like they are guarding.

#7 Offline rptraut - Posted August 18 2024 - 10:11 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello mete;

Guarding is another clue that the barrier is all about security.   My larger Camponotus colonies build barriers and make "guard houses" in the places where tubes connect to an outworld or nest.   They check ants that come through the tube before they're allowed to enter.   

RPT 

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#8 Offline Stubyvast - Posted August 18 2024 - 5:34 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

My Lasius do this too with their entrance, as they seem to like smaller holes for them to enter and exit by. However, I bet that camponotus like to forage at night a lot, so it's probably the case that you just don't see 'em. Maybe try dropping a fruit fly or something into their outworld and see if they bring it back to the nest the next day. This way you can check how they're doing!

• rptraut likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#9 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted August 18 2024 - 5:48 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Thanks for all the advices! Right now, I've moved my colony back to a testube setup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users