• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

mete's Messor barbarus journal

26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline mete - Posted September 22 2024 - 1:45 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Update week #6

I found one dead worker this week. As far as I can see there are 3-4 larvae, so I still think the death(s) (4-5 in last weeks) are from natural causes.

They always become more active in the outworld in the evening, I observe this everyday. Timelapse shows also activity during the night. In the morning I do not see that much activity and during the day there is always less activity.

This week I received the byformica liquid feeders. I installed a mini 3ml and a maxi 10ml in the outworld. My first impression is I like it better than the antcube 20ml liquid feeder, it is easier to use. I think the base is 3D printed and it is said that it might melt in hot water, so this is the part I do not like, I am used to using boiling water for cleaning. Also my first impression is the ants like the 3ml version more than 10ml. Maybe it is because the colony is small and there are no majors. I refilled the 3ml a few times until now, but 10ml still has water inside. I wonder if this is mainly due to ant's preference or due to evaporation. Does the 10ml version (with mesh inside) have considerably less evaporation ? 

I also still keep the small water pond I made last week, it is a metal bottle cap filled with small stones. As far as I can see ants also use that. TBH, I do like something like this more than the liquid feeders. I can fill it without removing it (I just drop water into it from the top) and it looks more natural to me. However, because it is totally open to the air, evaporation is very high, it lasts only a day. I want to improve this a bit and hope using something like this in the future.

Something I wrote in another post. I wondered if I can use wild flower seeds sold for gardening as food for ants. They are organic. There are two similar products I found, and I asked to both manufacturers. One manufacturer said it can be used as ant food. The other said they cannot say anything since they are not familiar with ants (or ant food etc.). Not sure if I can totally trust the first manufacturer's answer, because I was also not expecting a direct positive answer. I still have some amount of seeds I purchased as ant food when I purchased the formicarium. So this is not urgent but I need to figure this out in the future.

This week I offered and they accepted a spider and 3 fruit flies not surprisingly. I also first time tried boiled chicken meat. They accepted I think but took a very small amount.

A few larvae:

20240922-1.jpg

There is an irregular mass like a sponge at the bottom of their tunnel, not white but not as yellow as it looks in the photo below. Is this ant bread ?

20240922-2.jpg

Edited by mete, September 22 2024 - 2:01 AM.

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 22 2024 - 3:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,803 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Why not gather seeds yourself from natural areas?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline mete - Posted September 23 2024 - 5:59 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Why not gather seeds yourself from natural areas?

No idea where and how I would do that.

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 23 2024 - 11:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,803 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Any meadows near your house?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#25 Offline mete - Posted September 23 2024 - 10:49 PM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Any meadows near your house?

I can't think of anything nearby other than the artificial ones, and for the others I need to figure out if there is a regulation (which can be difficult with my much worse German skills).

#26 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 25 2024 - 4:08 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, it is not that hard.

You can collect Dandelion (Löwenzahn) seed pretty much everywhere, in parks and gardens.

Also lots of grass seed around, all of these will be safe (you just pick the ripe grasses and give them into the outworld, the ants will pick of the seed and leave the rest for you to clean up).

Same as for poppy (Mohn) seed (just collect the ripe seed capsules after the flower pedals fell off and dry).

However.

Make sure you do not collect next to agricultural areas. Not in heavily cultivated areas where there could be spraying (fields, flower beds in parks).

Vegetation and grass strips in parks, gardens and abandoned sites should be fine, but be careful with anything you collect in fields, because this might still have pesticide in it.

You could also harvest next to animal paddocks (cow paddock for example) because cows won't be allowed on there if it has recently been sprayed, so as soon as you see cows grazing, feel free to collect.

I just came back from a short stay in Switzerland (I wanted to drive to Italy for holiday, but my car broke down in Switzerland and my holiday did not happen, I could however spend 2 days in Switzerland) and if you are NOT short of something, it is cow paddocks. There is cows everywhere.

And as far as I know there is no regulation concerning picking grass and dandelion.

If in doubt, do a google search how grasses in your region look.

Just do not pick something like "Edelweiss" (or other protected plants), that is VERY intensely protected, and charges will be high.

It was already protected during the Second World War, and there is this romantic story going around my family of my granddad (who was an German Alpine Pioneer in the war) who spend 3 days in jail because he had picked an Edelweiss as a romantic gesture for my grandma. Yes, he spend 3 days in jail, but grandma indeed got her flower and had it framed on the wall.

#27 Offline mete - Posted September 25 2024 - 11:37 AM

mete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Well, it is not that hard.

You can collect Dandelion (Löwenzahn) seed pretty much everywhere, in parks and gardens.

Also lots of grass seed around, all of these will be safe (you just pick the ripe grasses and give them into the outworld, the ants will pick of the seed and leave the rest for you to clean up).

Same as for poppy (Mohn) seed (just collect the ripe seed capsules after the flower pedals fell off and dry).

These sounds OK. I grew up in a large city, so I am used to enjoying the nature but not collecting something.

However.

Make sure you do not collect next to agricultural areas. Not in heavily cultivated areas where there could be spraying (fields, flower beds in parks).

Vegetation and grass strips in parks, gardens and abandoned sites should be fine, but be careful with anything you collect in fields, because this might still have pesticide in it.

You could also harvest next to animal paddocks (cow paddock for example) because cows won't be allowed on there if it has recently been sprayed, so as soon as you see cows grazing, feel free to collect.

I just came back from a short stay in Switzerland (I wanted to drive to Italy for holiday, but my car broke down in Switzerland and my holiday did not happen, I could however spend 2 days in Switzerland) and if you are NOT short of something, it is cow paddocks. There is cows everywhere.

Got it. I need to look outside from this perspective next time I go somewhere green. The most reasonable is public parks. There are lots of pastures but not very close to me, naturally slightly out of cities.

Just do not pick something like "Edelweiss" (or other protected plants), that is VERY intensely protected, and charges will be high.

I read Edelweiss is protected but for example I cannot find where it writes that it is protected. In the protected plants list, for example, there is Alpine-Mohn, which can also have red flowers if I remember well. So one should be careful with poppy too. There are also differences among Kantons and regions.

Edit: I found this in national broadcasters website about the protection status of Edelweiss: "In Switzerland it does not enjoy protection at the national level, but it does in the 14 cantons where it is found, namely Ticino, Graubünden, Valais, Vaud, Fribourg, Bern, Appenzell and the whole of central Switzerland."

It was already protected during the Second World War, and there is this romantic story going around my family of my granddad (who was an German Alpine Pioneer in the war) who spend 3 days in jail because he had picked an Edelweiss as a romantic gesture for my grandma. Yes, he spend 3 days in jail, but grandma indeed got her flower and had it framed on the wall.

Nice story :)

Edited by mete, September 25 2024 - 11:41 AM.

• Ernteameise likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users