• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question regarding LightsCameraAnts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 13 2024 - 10:09 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Hi guys! I've been vacant on here but I just wanted to stop by and ask a question cause why not. I go on YouTube shorts a lot and I keep getting bombarded with this dude called Lights Camera Ants. YouTube knows I’m an ant keeper so they keep my algorithm up to date. However, he show cases literally every ant species an ant keeper would want. Pheidole Rhea, Atta texana, Atta Mexicana, Black crazy ants, practically every myrmecocystus species on planet earth, pogonomyrmex badius, etc. The list goes on. What state in the USA has these many rare ants inside?? I don’t want to be THAT guy but if he’s showcasing illegal ants that newbie ant keeper are watching who’s stopping them from doing what he’s doing. Just frustrates me to be honest. And no it’s not like no body knows him he has 2.2 MILLION subscribers on YouTube. He will be an illegal antscanada lol. Am I the only one who recognizes this? Please don’t tell me I’m the only one questioning this.
  • OiledOlives likes this
Keeper of:
Camponotus castaneus | 20-25 workers
Tetramorium Immigrans | 1,000+ workers (yes I gave them a brood boost don’t be salty!)
Aphaenogaster Rudis | 16 workers
Pheidole bicarinata | 50-60 workers

Ants are just better.

#2 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 14 2024 - 6:38 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hi guys! I've been vacant on here but I just wanted to stop by and ask a question cause why not. I go on YouTube shorts a lot and I keep getting bombarded with this dude called Lights Camera Ants. YouTube knows I’m an ant keeper so they keep my algorithm up to date. However, he show cases literally every ant species an ant keeper would want. Pheidole Rhea, Atta texana, Atta Mexicana, Black crazy ants, practically every myrmecocystus species on planet earth, pogonomyrmex badius, etc. The list goes on. What state in the USA has these many rare ants inside?? I don’t want to be THAT guy but if he’s showcasing illegal ants that newbie ant keeper are watching who’s stopping them from doing what he’s doing. Just frustrates me to be honest. And no it’s not like no body knows him he has 2.2 MILLION subscribers on YouTube. He will be an illegal antscanada lol. Am I the only one who recognizes this? Please don’t tell me I’m the only one questioning this.

Arizona, maybe California, but probably Arizona. It's the most diverse state in the union, and has all of the species you mentioned from his channel. I've seen some of his videos, seems more like a shorts version of AntsCanada, trying to attract new ant keepers or just entertain, rather than someone who goes in depth into the intricacies of ant keeping like we on this forum do.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#3 Offline Talabason - Posted August 14 2024 - 9:34 AM

Talabason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Arizona, maybe California, but probably Arizona. It's the most diverse state in the union, and has all of the species you mentioned from his channel. I've seen some of his videos, seems more like a shorts version of AntsCanada, trying to attract new ant keepers or just entertain, rather than someone who goes in depth into the intricacies of ant keeping like we on this forum do.

Unless he has permits, he is engaged in illegal activities. He has ants from different parts of the USA. Pogonomyrmex Badius is only native to southeastern USA and pheidole rhea and atta to the south western parts

It’s highly unlikely he has permits. In his videos his room where he is keeping his ants would never pass usda inspection as a secured facility
  • RushmoreAnts and Artisan_Ants like this

#4 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 14 2024 - 9:56 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Unless he has permits, he is engaged in illegal activities. He has ants from different parts of the USA. Pogonomyrmex Badius is only native to southeastern USA and pheidole rhea and atta to the south western parts

It’s highly unlikely he has permits. In his videos his room where he is keeping his ants would never pass usda inspection as a secured facility

If he is from the southwest, the Atta, Myrmecocystus, and Pheidole rhea should be legal. The badius on the other hand I agree with, as well as Odontomachus ruginodis, which is a species native to Central and South America, and invasive in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. I don't know what other species he has, I don't watch him much.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#5 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 14 2024 - 1:06 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua

I agree. His videos and shorts are all his simple table not any kind of secure anything. Any wrong fluon placement and all those ants are gone into the world or his kitchen.

He is a instagram guru version of an ant keeper. Everyone wants to have perfect nests and perfect species like HIM. It’s a literal social media vs reality thing.

Edited by AntsTopia, August 14 2024 - 1:07 PM.

• RushmoreAnts likes this
Keeper of:
Camponotus castaneus | 20-25 workers
Tetramorium Immigrans | 1,000+ workers (yes I gave them a brood boost don’t be salty!)
Aphaenogaster Rudis | 16 workers
Pheidole bicarinata | 50-60 workers

Ants are just better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users