• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Ohio! :)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MazerRackham77 - Posted August 10 2024 - 10:01 PM

MazerRackham77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio

Hello, I am relatively new to ant-keeping. I live in Ohio, where we've got plenty of ants for most of the year. I've been trying to get into ant-keeping for almost a year now, but due to some misinformation I got from an ant-keeping guidebook, my first attempts didn't go so well.  :(

I'm a bit better prepared the second time around, thankfully. I've currently got one Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Black Carpenter Ant queen and three Tetramorium Immigrans Pavement Ant queens. I originally had five, but I gave two to a friend who is also trying to get into the hobby.

All my queens are in AntsCanada test tubes, and I have AC test tube portals to transition them into. I currently have both Carpenter Ant and Pavement Ant nanitics, so they seem to be doing good.

However, I was hoping I could find out how many nanitics are recommended in Black Carpenter Ant and Pavement Ant setups before transitioning them to an intermediate setup where they would be fed? 

I was also wondering if Carpenter Ants require fresh prey for food? My understanding is that pavement ants are generally not very picky and willing to eat dried crickets, like you can get at a pet store, but I'm not sure what food Black Carpenter Ants require.

In a few days, I will be leaving for a week on a trip and so I won't be able to feed them, although I can leave them with a friend if necessary.

I think Antkeeping is really cool (cooler than Beekeeping, since it's done purely for the pleasure of the experience rather than a byproduct), and I think that it's amazing that there are forums of people dedicated to supporting the hobby. I'd appreciate if anyone who has experience with Camponotus Pennsylvanicus or Tetramorium Immigrans could answer my questions.

Thanks for all that you do to keep Ant-keeping alive!

Regards,

---MazerRackham77

• RushmoreAnts and Artisan_Ants like this

#2 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted August 10 2024 - 10:59 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Hi! And welcome to formiculture! It's always nice to see someone new get into the wonderful hobby of antkeeping.

To answer your questions, you should start feeding your ants when you see the nanitics pulling at the cotton blocking the testube. It means they're hungrey and ready to forage for food. 

On what to feed your ants, you should start with sugar water or pre-killed feeder insects. Make sure not to give them too much and remove leftover after 2 or 3 days. Carpenter ants are also not that picky, but they do love sweet things.

Good luck with your ant colonies! feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Edited by IdioticMouse26, August 11 2024 - 1:14 PM.

• RushmoreAnts, cooIboyJ and MazerRackham77 like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 11 2024 - 2:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,762 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome! Read through this guide carefully, and it will answer your questions.
https://www.formicul...view=getnewpost

Edited by ANTdrew, August 11 2024 - 2:23 AM.

• RushmoreAnts, cooIboyJ and MazerRackham77 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 11 2024 - 6:17 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hello, I am relatively new to ant-keeping. I live in Ohio, where we've got plenty of ants for most of the year. I've been trying to get into ant-keeping for almost a year now, but due to some misinformation I got from an ant-keeping guidebook, my first attempts didn't go so well.  :(

I'm a bit better prepared the second time around, thankfully. I've currently got one Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Black Carpenter Ant queen and three Tetramorium Immigrans Pavement Ant queens. I originally had five, but I gave two to a friend who is also trying to get into the hobby.

All my queens are in AntsCanada test tubes, and I have AC test tube portals to transition them into. I currently have both Carpenter Ant and Pavement Ant nanitics, so they seem to be doing good.

However, I was hoping I could find out how many nanitics are recommended in Black Carpenter Ant and Pavement Ant setups before transitioning them to an intermediate setup where they would be fed? 

I was also wondering if Carpenter Ants require fresh prey for food? My understanding is that pavement ants are generally not very picky and willing to eat dried crickets, like you can get at a pet store, but I'm not sure what food Black Carpenter Ants require.

In a few days, I will be leaving for a week on a trip and so I won't be able to feed them, although I can leave them with a friend if necessary.

I think Antkeeping is really cool (cooler than Beekeeping, since it's done purely for the pleasure of the experience rather than a byproduct), and I think that it's amazing that there are forums of people dedicated to supporting the hobby. I'd appreciate if anyone who has experience with Camponotus Pennsylvanicus or Tetramorium Immigrans could answer my questions.

Hey, welcome! Attach their test tubes to the test tube portals as soon as they have workers, as feeding inside the test tube is dangerous (they can drown in liquids). All ants benefit from fresh insects, you can get some from PetSmart or PetCo, or another local pet store. Mealworms, superworms, and dubia roaches are favorites, though as the guide suggests it isn't a bad idea to freeze the fresh ones for a few hours. I'd recommend feeding Tetras those as well, as dried insects don't have nearly as much nutritional value, and it would be much better to feed them fresh. You can read my Tetramorium immigrans journal for some more insights on that species, I'm not currently keeping Camponotus. Good luck!

Edited by AntsDakota, August 11 2024 - 6:19 AM.

• ANTdrew and MazerRackham77 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#5 Offline MazerRackham77 - Posted August 12 2024 - 9:45 AM

MazerRackham77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio

Thanks for the advice!

An additional question:

I'm leaving on a trip for a week in a couple of days, and I was wondering if it would be better to leave them with a friend, or if they would be fine without food for that long?

Thanks,

MazerRackham77

#6 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted August 12 2024 - 12:04 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Thanks for the advice!

An additional question:
I'm leaving on a trip for a week in a couple of days, and I was wondering if it would be better to leave them with a friend, or if they would be fine without food for that long?

Thanks,

MazerRackham77

Leaving them for a couple weeks with food should be fine (they can survive minimum a month without food for a little colony whereas larger can survive over two without food. Results are much better when fed before though). Just make sure there is a food source before you leave to ensure they will be fine while you are off. I would recommend to add both sugars and protein in case they are full on one of the types. Good luck with your colonies!
  • MazerRackham77 likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta (colonies and single queen)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding but no eggs)   (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)                                       1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  

1x - F. subsericea (founding)                                        1x - T. sessile (mega colony)

3x - P. imparis (colonies)  

2x - L. neoniger (founding)

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#7 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 12 2024 - 12:27 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yes, leave some honeywater or sugarwater out for them, preferably in an ant feeder like the ones from ByFormica, though leaving it in the test tube portal still works. Keep in mind without a feeder there is a chance they will drown, so I would recommend putting them in an outworld and having a feeder, which will likely last them two weeks.

• Artisan_Ants and MazerRackham77 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#8 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted August 12 2024 - 2:39 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Thanks for the advice!

An additional question:

Thanks,

MazerRackham77

You might find this thread helpful https://www.formicul...on/#entry242582

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users