• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus eggs not maturing?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline robyn13572 - Posted August 7 2024 - 6:06 PM

robyn13572

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, US

I've had my 2 Camponotus pennsylvania colonies for over 2 years now, but I still only have the first set of nanetics? How is this possible? My first colony has 3 workers and a pile of brood, and the second only has one worker and one or two eggs. I feed them a half of a mealworm and a honey-water mixture. Please help!

I'm new to the hobby :)
Currently keeping two Camponotus pennsylvania colonies  :D

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 8 2024 - 2:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,762 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What temperature do you keep them at? It sounds to me like they are not warm enough to develop.
  • robyn13572, Artisan_Ants and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Stubyvast - Posted August 8 2024 - 6:51 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Wow...can Nanitics even live that long?? Yep it's likely something to do with your temperature. If it's too low, ants will grow reaaalllly slowly, or not at all. You can probably boost their food intake to a whole mealworm every four days or so, until the next generation arrives. 

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#4 Offline robyn13572 - Posted August 8 2024 - 5:11 PM

robyn13572

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, US

What temperature do you keep them at? It sounds to me like they are not warm enough to develop.

Oh! Yeah, that's probably the issue! Thanks :)

Wow...can Nanitics even live that long?? Yep it's likely something to do with your temperature. If it's too low, ants will grow reaaalllly slowly, or not at all. You can probably boost their food intake to a whole mealworm every four days or so, until the next generation arrives. 

I'm surprised they've lived this long too!! I'll definitely move them somewhere warmer :)

• Stubyvast likes this
I'm new to the hobby :)
Currently keeping two Camponotus pennsylvania colonies  :D

#5 Offline rptraut - Posted August 9 2024 - 2:55 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello Robyn 13572;

Your colonies will need protein as well as heat in order to grow.    I wrote about the things I fed one of my colonies here:   Results From Two Feeding Experiments by RPT - General Ant Keeping - Ants & Myrmecology Forum (formiculture.com).   My Camponotus pennsylvanicus founding colonies aren't really that fond of mealworms, so I feed them cricket pieces and flies, not fruit flies, just regular house, greenbottle and bluebottle flies.   I also feed them cooked chicken and liver, raw pork and cooked egg yolk.   Might as well get them used to eating it right from the start.   Fewer insects means less trash!   I feed founding colonies every other day and then every six days out of seven as the colony gets bigger.   My ants accept a wide variety of foods and I'm sure the diversity is good for their health.  

Supply them with sugar/water in a l:3 (some say 1:4) ratio, even if it's just on a small cotton ball or piece of sponge.    Honey as a food for ants just seems to me to be too full of potential risks like pesticides and fermentation/spoilage in the feeder.   I just use sugar.  They also need fresh drinking water at all times.    A heated colony will dry more quickly than a cooler one, so they may need additional hydration.   

Mine prefer a nest on the dry side. 

Good luck with them.

RPT

• Mushu and Artisan_Ants like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#6 Offline Mushu - Posted August 9 2024 - 9:17 PM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California
I’m starting to realize this is not an uncommon situation for Camponotus, especially species that need diapause.

If you were not heating them, that could be a reason. If you did not enter diapause and long enough, they may also grow slowly. Sometimes it’s just the queen. Provided everything else is in check those appear to be the common issues for stunted growth.

Edited by Mushu, August 9 2024 - 9:17 PM.

#7 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 10 2024 - 5:25 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I'm surprised they've lived this long too!! I'll definitely move them somewhere warmer :)

If workers are not in constant danger of being eaten by predators, constantly performing strenuous tasks and traveling long distances they can in fact last a very long time. The 'workers die after a couple months' schtick applies to wild workers who do get killed all the time and are overworked and underfed. Captivity is the good life for your average worker.

• rptraut likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users