• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus modoc in AC hybrid nest moisture issue.

too wet ac hybrid nest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cstutz - Posted August 7 2024 - 4:09 PM

cstutz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I captured/saved a nest of Camponotus Modoc last winter from an old woodpile we were cleaning up. They are in an AC hybrid nest and are doing ok. My issue is moisture accumulation! It is sopping wet in the middle of the nest. I moved them once already to another hybrid nest and tried to reduce the amount of water in the tray but even with no water the nest is just getting nasty! Any ideas? I am new to the forum. . . . will try to post photos.

#2 Offline Stubyvast - Posted August 7 2024 - 6:00 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

You should check if the ants themselves are causing this issue, by carrying wet stuff or debris there. This could be caused by overfeeding. Alternatively, to clean up the mess you could introduce some springtails or harmless mites to eat any of these materials. That way, the moisture becomes collected in their bodies, not in the nest itself. 

Hopefully one of these ideas work! 

Yes, photos would be helpful to "shed more light" on the situation, haha!

Edited by Stubyvast, August 8 2024 - 6:49 AM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 8 2024 - 2:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Do NOT put a heating pad under the nest because that will cause massive condensation on the glass. My advice would be to modify the AC nest by lining the bottom of the chambers with some absorbent plaster. I had luck doing this last year. I also filled the hydration tray with perlite. Your Camponotus don’t need any moisture in the formicarium and can just get water from a liquid feeder in the outworld.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Stubyvast - Posted August 8 2024 - 6:47 AM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Edited: Thanks! 

Edited by Stubyvast, August 8 2024 - 6:49 AM.

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (1 queen +  ~5 workers)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~90+ workers)

Lasius Neoniger (two single queen + brood)

Formica spp. (Queen [likely parasitic, needs brood])

Also keeping a friend's tetramorium immigrans for the foreseeable future. Thanks CoffeBlock!

#5 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 8 2024 - 12:26 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

if unresolved, you could get some clean fine sand and offer them a pile of it.  they may use it to absorb the water and eliminate the ponding.

though you have modoc so sawdust or some kind of cellulose powder would probably be preferable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users