• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 6 2024 - 6:17 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Parasitic Formica

Formica ravida group

Update 1

August 8, 2024

Ants_Dakota was camping in Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota. He came across the tail end of parasitic Formica flights, and caught several queens. He was kind enough to give me the queens he didn't want, so here we are. Shout out to AUD! Anyways, I have two species, both in the rufa group, which for now I'm going to call Formica cf. ravida and Formica cf. obscuriventris. Neither are obscuripes due to their lack of polygyne (we tried, a queen died because of it). I have two of the cf. ravida queens and one of the cf. obscuriventris queens. AUD only wanted a shinier one that could possibly be obscuripes, as he doesn't want to be completely loaded up with Formica colonies. His was one of the healthier queens. I introduced Formica fusca grouop host pupae to all of the queens, and they all began to groom them and transport them to the furthest reaches of their test tubes. The cf. obscuriventris queen seems the healthiest to me, and interestingly her host pupae are naked. Two workers have eclosed so far, with 6 more on the way. She has a total of 25 host brood including a couple larvae they are caring for. The cf. ravida queens have roughly 10 cocooned pupae each. I absolutely love parasitic Formica. While I think pallidefulva group queens are more beautiful per se, I can't get over the robust, aggressive look of ravida group Formica. These queens, unlike most others I've kept, seem to have personality. They're quick, nimble, aggressive, and have great eyesight, all of which contribute to their exaggerated-looking movements and behaviors. They seem to be looking at you - watching you - probably because they are. I'm super excited to keep these queens, and am hoping they lay eggs before hibernation.

Formica cf. ravida Colony A

VKj2BO9.jpg

ROXJKgy.jpg

EVWb6tT.jpg

Formica cf. ravida Colony B

Formica cf. ravida Colony B 8/6/2024 (youtube.com)

HCASeKO.jpg

zYpNVwK.jpg

bHB6j35.jpg

Formica cf. obscuriventris

zALIx8J.jpg

VsAUejh.jpg

Edited by RushmoreAnts, August 12 2024 - 6:26 PM.

• Ants_Dakota and Full_Frontal_Yeti like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#2 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 7 2024 - 7:03 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Are they like rufa where they can live all by themselves after the slaves die out?

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#3 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 7 2024 - 12:20 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Are they like rufa where they can live all by themselves after the slaves die out?

They're parasitic, not slave raiders. They need host workers to found their colonies, that's it. Their own workers are self-sufficient.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted August 11 2024 - 10:46 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

For those experienced with the Formica genus, you can help us ID these queens here.

• RushmoreAnts likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship Lasius nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, parasitic formica, formica parasite, parasite, social parasite, formica social parasite, formica ravida, formica obscuriventris, ravida, obscuriventris

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users