• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are Nuptial Flights in the UK Still Underway?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lordpatek - Posted August 5 2024 - 3:57 AM

Lordpatek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Just curious. Been around in the meadows catching some Lasius Flavus queens who often end up mysteriously passing away between my weekly check-ups on them. Starting to think time is running out, as I haven't caught wind of any Lasius Flavus or Niger in the spots I normally peruse. I'm in the Swindon area of the UK, so maybe elsewhere they're still happening? I wouldn't say the weather's been particularly bad, either.

#2 Online cooIboyJ - Posted August 5 2024 - 7:55 AM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
I’m pretty sure the nuptial flights are still going on but some species have stopped flying. What will happen is a species of ant will send out their male and queen alates for about one to three weeks and then stop flying because they have no more alates to send out. Though don’t take my word for it because I may be wrong.
  • IdioticMouse26 and Lordpatek like this

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#3 Offline Lordpatek - Posted August 5 2024 - 10:09 AM

Lordpatek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yeah I've figured the nests in my area have all been "depleted" so to speak. I've found an ant queen that may be semi-claustral, species unknown, that I may post here in hopes that she can get ID'ed. According to some research they may be manica rubida or myrmica rubra, one of the two have their nuptial flights typically beginning in August which would co-incide with when I caught her roughly 2 days ago.

• cooIboyJ likes this

#4 Offline OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 5 2024 - 10:55 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

some other species may send their alates that will overwinter until spring and only found their colony later, most of them will  be semi claustral because oof how they can hunt

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#5 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted September 3 2024 - 2:33 PM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

Just curious. Been around in the meadows catching some Lasius Flavus queens who often end up mysteriously passing away between my weekly check-ups on them. Starting to think time is running out, as I haven't caught wind of any Lasius Flavus or Niger in the spots I normally peruse. I'm in the Swindon area of the UK, so maybe elsewhere they're still happening? I wouldn't say the weather's been particularly bad, either.

Lasius Niger has been done. Not in the UK but they fly June-July. Your best bet is something like Myrmica or Crematogaster, but again, i'm not in the UK so I can't give sound advice on that. Overall though, most species have already flown, so you'll have to wait for next year for the bulk of queens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users