• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

It this regular?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 3 2024 - 7:00 PM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I was in Ottawa and I noticed a little tetramorium immigrans worker that kept on spinning in circles and I could tell that she was not lost because of how she had her sisters check up on her (which she ignored) and ended up spinning for approximately 30 minutes until she was “satisfied” and went one direction that led to her colony and that was the end of that. Btw I feel like she was spinning for a bit more time because I discovered her in the middle of her spinning

(I will post the video later)

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#2 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 3 2024 - 7:02 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Sometimes ants get their pheromone trails mixed up. My guess would be either she was following a circular pheromone trail or she was sick and dying of some disease.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#3 Online OwlThatLikesAnts - Posted August 4 2024 - 5:29 AM

OwlThatLikesAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Sometimes ants get their pheromone trails mixed up. My guess would be either she was following a circular pheromone trail or she was sick and dying of some disease.

Wouldn’t the workers who checked up on her disrupt the trail?

Edited by OwlThatLikesAnts, August 4 2024 - 5:30 AM.

Currently keeping:

1x Solenopsis molesta

1x Formica subsericea (polygynous) has WORKERS!!!  :yahoo: RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

2x Lasius niger (one is polygynous and the other is monogynous) 

#4 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted August 4 2024 - 5:41 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Wouldn’t the workers who checked up on her disrupt the trail?

Not necessarily, they may believe she is following a legitimate trail just like she does.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users