• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus discolor: sneaky sneaky little ants

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted August 3 2024 - 7:58 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I'm sitting at my desk enjoying a video when I see an ant. She's tiny. So tiny that at first I didn't even think she was from one of my colonies. But, after picking her up I see she is a Camponotus discolor, the smallest one I've ever seen. She was almost as small as a Lasius niger worker.

Gently, I take her back to their nest and put her back where she belongs. I assume she must have escaped when I last fed them and I just didn't see her since she was so little. A day or two passes... and it happens again... A super TINY carpenter ant crosses my desk. Again I move to return her, but now I wonder if there is a bigger issue. I check their enclosure carefully. I see no obvious problems. So, I let it go. 

Then today I find TWO tiny ants. 

uh. oh.

They are getting out and I don't know how. A more careful inspection uncovers a tiny little hole chewed on one of the plugs on their second outworld. I was only seeing tiny ants, because they are they only ones who could fit. But they were working to scale the whole operation up... it would not be long until their major would be marching all around my apartment. 

ZDIlJBk.png

I've sealed the hole, but this dang colony. They always have a project like this in some corner of their nest. The chewed tube is a sight to see... it must have taken them WEEKS to do that. I made a new plug and filled it with nylon which none of my ants have ever been able to chew through. 

I had no idea that they could produce workers so tiny! Another ant superpower. 

If you see sneaky *little* ants from your polymorphic sp... know something's up. 

I found another place they are "working on" ... they will need to chew about a full inch of tube for this to work... getting some nylon to cover the cracks. You can see how slow the progress is. Maybe I should give the majors something else to chew? 

Edited by futurebird, August 3 2024 - 8:41 AM.

• RushmoreAnts and Ernteameise like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 3 2024 - 9:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My Crematogaster and Pheidole did this to their plugs a while back. Super annoying!
  • futurebird and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 3 2024 - 10:37 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationGermany

I'm sitting at my desk enjoying a video when I see an ant. She's tiny. So tiny that at first I didn't even think she was from one of my colonies. But, after picking her up I see she is a Camponotus discolor, the smallest one I've ever seen. She was almost as small as a Lasius niger worker.

Gently, I take her back to their nest and put her back where she belongs. I assume she must have escaped when I last fed them and I just didn't see her since she was so little. A day or two passes... and it happens again... A super TINY carpenter ant crosses my desk. Again I move to return her, but now I wonder if there is a bigger issue. I check their enclosure carefully. I see no obvious problems. So, I let it go. 

Then today I find TWO tiny ants. 

uh. oh.

They are getting out and I don't know how. A more careful inspection uncovers a tiny little hole chewed on one of the plugs on their second outworld. I was only seeing tiny ants, because they are they only ones who could fit. But they were working to scale the whole operation up... it would not be long until their major would be marching all around my apartment. 

ZDIlJBk.png

I've sealed the hole, but this dang colony. They always have a project like this in some corner of their nest. The chewed tube is a sight to see... it must have taken them WEEKS to do that. I made a new plug and filled it with nylon which none of my ants have ever been able to chew through. 

I had no idea that they could produce workers so tiny! Another ant superpower. 

If you see sneaky *little* ants from your polymorphic sp... know something's up. 

I found another place they are "working on" ... they will need to chew about a full inch of tube for this to work... getting some nylon to cover the cracks. You can see how slow the progress is. Maybe I should give the majors something else to chew? 

Oh wow.

Looking at this plug, I am reminded of the Doctor Who story where the Doctor takes 2 billion years to punch a hole through a wall of diamond.

Dedication.

• futurebird likes this

#4 Offline Mushu - Posted August 4 2024 - 2:36 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

That's some dedication. Definitely one of my worse fears, especially if a colony gets large enough. Glad you caught them before the operation completed.

#5 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted August 4 2024 - 11:02 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

That's another reason why I didn't want to get small ants, they can escape through smaller holes / crevices like your extra small carpenters.

Another thing I noticed with my carpenter ants (I only keep two kinds of ants so I can't comment on others) is when they're hungry, they go all out in trying to escape. They will constantly rush barriers and chew on everything for a way out. So my first time ant keeper's dream of "Wow I want a massive colony with 10 THOUSAND+ of these ants!!!" quickly died as even in just the couple hundreds, their increasing number, size, activity level, aggression and space requirement is starting to alarm me. I'm told they don't eat much but as soon as I stop feeding them as much and they get hungry, they're chewing on everything to get out. I'm hoping to update my journal very soon, it's been awhile.

• futurebird likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users