• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acropyga without aphid?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline enceladussmartants - Posted August 2 2024 - 5:38 PM

enceladussmartants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I caught an acropyga queen at school. She was trapped in an abandoned spiderweb(I'm assuming it was abandoned because I saw no spider) and honestly seemed to have given up hope of getting out, as she was just twitching her antennae. I got her out, and after some research, realized she was acropyga. But she was not holding an aphid. It must have got stuck in the spiderweb in a different place, and I didn't notice it. Is it possible to take care of her in any other way? She is currently in an easter egg so I can see her more properly, with a wet cotton ball and some sugar.. Should I move her into soil with a plant, even though she doesn't have an aphid? I am assuming that she is acropyga rubescens, as she doesn't look like the pictures of acropyga acutiventris.

Found in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.

Edited by enceladussmartants, August 2 2024 - 6:05 PM.

• RushmoreAnts and futurebird like this

#2 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted August 3 2024 - 8:13 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
I don’t know too much about that species, but if you know nearby colonies exist, collect aphids from them. If not, then your plan of just putting her in soil is the best option. Keep feeding her sugar (maybe honey too) until you can get an aphid for her.
  • RushmoreAnts, futurebird and enceladussmartants like this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#3 Offline enceladussmartants - Posted August 3 2024 - 10:08 PM

enceladussmartants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thank you. Do you know if regular aphids/mealybugs would work, or will they only drink honeydew from their specific kind?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users